Help: Alesis Micron as Logic Interface

lt.Wulffwood

• Members

I'm sorry if this post is redundant but forgive me I'm new to the forum. I think I have an odd question.

I have my Alesis Micron hooked up to my MacBook using a M-Audio USB - MIDI cable. The MacBook is running Logic Pro and/or Mainstage. Somehow, I'd like to be able to have Logic or Mainstage play sounds out of the Alesis audio output. I do not have an audio interface, I was kind of hoping I could use the Alesis as an interface, will the MIDI cable allow this or no?

• Members

Thank you for the quick response :)

I am using the Micron as a Midi Controller for Logic right now, I was jsut wondering if instead of having Logic output through the headphone jack of my MacBook, if i could get it to output through the headphone jack of the Micron. Are you saying i'd need a separate audio interface for that?

Is there a keyboard you would recommend that does this kinda thing without a separate audio interface (preferably on the extra cheep side)? This keyboard isn't even mine so i've got to buy my own eventually

• Members

Thank you for the quick response
:)

I am using the Micron as a Midi Controller for Logic right now, I was jsut wondering if instead of having Logic output through the headphone jack of my MacBook, if i could get it to output through the headphone jack of the Micron. Are you saying i'd need a seprate audio interface for that?

Yes. You'll need a separate audio interface. The Micron will not work as an audio output for your Mac. You have 3 choices here:

1) Buy an audio/MIDI interface to plug the Micron into. Then you can sync/record/mix your Micron's MIDI/audio with Logic's MIDI/audio and listen through headphones or speakers connected to the audio interface.

2) Buy a special cable like this one to plug in from the Micron's outputs to your 1/8" audio input mini jack on your Mac. This way you can pass audio into Logic but you'll have to listen on your computer's headphone mini jack output.

3) Buy something like a Novation Xiosynth or a CME controller with a built in interface.

• 11 years later...

Archived