Yamaha Clavinova

• Members

It depends on the model and what features are included. There are basic Clavinovas that don't have sequencing, disk recording and all that stuff, while others do. I have a CLP-350 from the late 80s and it sounds and plays great, best key action I've ever encountered outside of a Kurzweil Midiboard or Yamaha KX88. Those basic ones (like mine) are probably worth between $300 and $450, wheras the ones that have sequencing and fancier features go for between $500 and $750. Any way you look at it, Clavinova's are IMO the best digital pianos on the market. I swear by mine.

• Members

Yup.

I have a CLP-820. 2 track recorder, 10 basic sounds of which I use 1. By far my favorite instrument. I think I'll have it buried next to me. Sound, action, feel, everything is just right. Wasn't too expensive new, either. I think maybe $1200 ? Of course, that WAS 10 years ago....

But yeah, 3-400 tops for the budget models. AS long as you get the graded hammer action keybed, you can't go wrong.

One last thing though. They ain't portable. They're heavy. Even though they can be taken apart and transported, I just wouldn't do it say, weekly.....

• Members

Clavinova's were introduced to the market in the late 80's. At that time they had a touch of class. During the time Clavinova series has become an average player in the market.

IMHO the sounds are really not that good, specially if you consider Yamaha to be one of the world leaders when it comes to pianos. I play one in church nearly every Sabbath and it's OK-ish, but when I use some real piano and come back to Clavinova I always get reminded that their sound is separated by worlds.

Still, for home users, it's acceptable, depending on specs.

Archived