Cubase : no FX on VST instruments ?

Logicat

• Members

Hi people,

i am not a Cubase expert (i'm a so-called 'noob', although i'm not sure about how is this word translated in italian), i never went deeply into its features. Moreover, the version i'm using is the poor man's one (SE).

I realized to have this problem : i put a V-station instance on a MIDI track, and i wanted to add a bit reverb...But the list of effects for this track differs from the one available for audio tracks, and reverb misses... :cry:

I know, i know, in this particular case, i can use the embedded reverb in the V-station, but what if it missed there too ? And what if i want to EQ the audio part generated by the V-station ? I have no EQ setting panel on a MIDI track !!

Tell me please...:facepalm:

• Members

Midi tracks use midi effects and audio tracks use audio effects.

Midi is data, and midi effects manipulate that data by changing its timing or pitch.

Reverb and EQ are audio effects, used on audio tracks.

To use audio effects on a midi track, convert the track to audio first.

• Members

Midi is not audio. You can't use any audio processing effects on something that isn't audio. But you can record the audio output of the VST and insert effects on it during recording or afterwards. You just need to learn how to do that in Cubase.

• Members

From your answers, i understand that an 'automatic' audio track generated by a VST doesn't exist...

I know how to convert a MIDI VST track to an audio track (i export the 'mixdown' and re-import it in a new audio track)...I was just wondering if this operation can be done in a single passage, but it can't, and it seems not to depend on the Cubase version.

Thank you for the information anyway !!

• Members

Nothing has to be converted, because this would completely skip the idea of software synths in the first place. It would be vastly retarded if you couldn't just connect a software reverb to a software instrument because nothing's going out of the computer, and besides, any other sequencer can do it too - without rendering, bouncing or conversion.

Fact is however that you're pushing the wrong "e" button (the one that calls up the MIDI effects).

Try the one in the list of VST devices; you should be greeted with the equalizer and a list of inserts.

• Members

Sorry Yoozer, but it didn't work :facepalm:

When i hit the "e" button in the VST list, the same thing that happens when i hit the "e" button near the MIDI track occurs : the V-station interface is evoked :rolleyes:

Maybe it's my Cubase version...But i'll have to go with the slighty-tedious procedure : VST MIDI-Audio conversion and re-import :facepalm:

• Members

Found it !! I did as explained in those pages, soloed the VST MIDI track, entered the mixer, and found another track called "VSTAT 1 BUS 1"; on it, the "e" button opens the audio-style window, where i have the requested effects and i can also equalize.

Thank you Yoozer :thu:

Archived