Compression in a more solo arrangement?

bullpencoach

• Members

If you were going to play a hollow-body with P90s to accompany vocals, would you be tempted to use compression on the guitar or completely steer clear? I'm talking mainly rhythm playing with heavy strings and no huge dynamic needs. The guitar doesn't need to cut through a mix, since other instruments will probably appear only as solos or bridges. No real need for additional sustain, probably, and reverb will be the only other effect used regularly.

I have a definite country element to my playing, and you always head about compression, but I imagine that's mostly for rhythm and lead playing in an ensemble? I've never really found a way to use it. Just wondering what others do!

Thanks

• Members

I'd be inclined to say no to compression if you already have good control of dynamics in your playing, or go with some kind of compressor that can be set to be very subtle.

My reasoning is that (without hearing the specific songs/performances in question), compression may lead to a 'flat' overall sound, and prevent (or at least hinder) natural dynamic shifts and expressiveness.

I know some people will probably chime in and say they leave their compressor on all the time and they have great tone, but while it (compressed guitar) can sound and feel great from the playing perspective, it doesn't necessarily always sound that great to your audience and, especially if a single guitar is going to be the main/only musical backing, unless you're using lots of other effects to add colour in places, it may come across as a bit monotonous if it's all at the same level.

On the other hand, I'm probably over thinking this completely and your audience won't notice either way as they'll be concentrating on the vocals anyway. :lol:

I guess the only real answer is to try it for yourself.

But, as I said first of all, I'd go with no additional compression at all, or maybe just use something like my EHX White Finger comp (which is pretty much a studio processor in pedal form), as that can be set to be almost imperceptible... it can add some subtle compression but without altering the natural shape/attack of the notes.

Archived