Versatile fuzzes??

-Norge-

• Members

Short review I posted on ILF a while back of the Basic Audio Squarewave+, one of the most flexible fuzzies I've played in a while.

Squarewave+: This one I feel like I didn't get enough time with. This one has a deep control set that can really change the range of tones available.

Some fuzzes can do lower gain but really just excel at the higher gain stuff (or vice versa). Not the case here.

The squarewave + reminded me of the Algal Bloom on steroids (Tonally the AB is a different fuzz, but it's the best I can do as far as giving you a reference point to jump off from) in that it was a fuzz that was equally comfortable in the lower gain ranges (with diodes off), as well as the higher gain settings (diodes in).

Low gain od, warm slight crunch, thick distortion, nasty splatty fuzz. All there.

I should add that the squarewave+ was never especially hard to dial in...with so many tones available you'd think it might be super touchy, jumping from one extreme to the next at the bump of a knob.

Not so. The clipping toggle helps keep things straight forward (unless you hate toggles).

With a name like squarewave you'd think it's just this droney synth like fuzz (I blame univox ), but this was a really flexible swiss army od/dirt/fuzz box.

Archived