I was thinking about starting an industrial band here in Seattle

J05H

• Members

A real band. One that wouldn't use (or need) backing tracks. Just a bunch of guys with keyboards and drum machines and such. Maybe sound a bit like Front Line Assembly.

Am I daft?
:cry:

I'd love to meet up and exchange ideas at least. I've been recording in a bubble for several months.

Btw, I play everything. So not really a problem figuring that part out. The no backing tracks would be hard though as I love electronic loops and processed drums/atmospheres and as far as I can tell it's {censored}ing IMPOSSIBLE to find a drummer with an electronic kit.

• Members

I'd love to meet up and exchange ideas at least. I've been recording in a bubble for several months.

Btw, I play everything. So not really a problem figuring that part out. The no backing tracks would be hard though as I love electronic loops and processed drums/atmospheres and as far as I can tell it's {censored}ing IMPOSSIBLE to find a drummer with an electronic kit.

Yes, especially in Seattle. For some reason every drummer I have met cringes at the notion of using an electronic kit, giving some lame reason like its cheating.

Yeah, Neil Peart is such a cheat, hahaha.

• Members

Industrial bands are nearly impossible to get together using Craigslist. Of the three major cities I've lived in (LA, Vegas, San Fran), all my Craigslist ad replies have been from musicians being into more mainstream music such as White Zombie, later Ministry, Ramstein, etc. So then I'll try to get more specific and mention earlier Industrial groups I like (Cabaret Voltaire, TG, Front 242, DAF), then wind up with laptop musicians and knob tweakers who are only capable of producing aimless noise or arpeggiated preset trance sounds.

When all else fails, get a sequencer and do all the music yourself, then get a vocalist if you want to focus more on playing.

• Members

I have to admit, I really loved 90's Ministry going up through Animosity. Sorry, it pwned.

I liked their albums up till "The Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Taste", but then the vocals starting getting a bit too argressively cheesy for my taste. Reminds me too much of Metallica or Pantera. I don't remember any album after that even featuring synthesizers or electronic experimentation, it's like they became just another pissed off sounding, guitar driven metal band. The Revolting Cocks project remained interesting to me however.

• Members

There is a really great extreme industrial/noise scene in seattle. First, try posting on the "general Seattle thread" in this forum: PNW noiseboard

Start going to shows you see on this board. Talk to people involved with Backwards NW (a label), Threat (an event), and Methfest (a fest). Cool stuff in seattle is happening at the intersection of extreme breakcore, noise, weirdo free rock/improv, and grindcore scenes. The way to find interesting musicians is to go to interesting shows and meet them. See if they or anyone they know would like to be in your project. They might even lead some person towards you down the line etc. IMO advertisements are the worst way to find new musical partners. Scenes get a really bad rap and often they deserve them, but they do serve a purpose.

• Members

I liked their albums up till "The Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Taste", but then the vocals starting getting a bit too argressively cheesy for my taste. Reminds me too much of Metallica or Pantera. I don't remember any album after that even featuring synthesizers or electronic experimentation, it's like they became just another pissed off sounding, guitar driven metal band. The Revolting Cocks project remained interesting to me however.

Animosity had a ton of electronics and inventive processing. It's layered in there, trust me. Post Animosity it just ended up being one big generic metal band {censored} fest.

Archived