What do you all think of the BB Preamp?

• Members

I'm going to be overhauling the dirt side of my rig, and have been doing WAY too much research into pedals. I'm looking for a blues tone, a crunchier 80's metal tone, and a lead tone.

The BB preamp has really caught my attention. Seems nice and warm- not too harsh. Can it get crunchy?

I was thinking about a

1. TS9 or 808 (leaning towards the 9. Should I get maxon or ibanez?)

2. BB preamp (could I stack it with the TS9 if it's not crunchy enough? I wonder if stacking it would boost my volume however. I'd like to be able to use both individually and stack them, but maybe it's not worth it.

3. Katana clean boost or AC boost. Just to add a TOUCH of dirt to my lead tone. Katana seems to be what i want but i've heard great things about the AC.

So what all do you think about the BB preamp? Also, what do you guys think about a

USA strat -> TS9 -> BB Preamp -> Katana boost -> fender twin

• Members

Looks like the BB preamp comp does have some compression options, which may be nice, however I already have a Keeley 4 knob compressor.

It doesn't have a compressor built into it. I think it uses different diodes to get that effect. All I can say is that when I kick it on in a live environment both my band and the audience reacts more so than with many of the other drives I use. Creamy lead tone in the Andy Timmons setting and more Plexi type in the regular setting.

• Members

It doesn't have a compressor built into it. I think it uses different diodes to get that effect. All I can say is that when I kick it on in a live environment both my band and the audience reacts more so than with many of the other drives I use. Creamy lead tone in the Andy Timmons setting and more Plexi type in the regular setting.

Sounds good to me, ha. Plus it seems like you can get it to sound very close to the BB pre, it's just more versatile. Am definitely going to be watching some videos on the comp

• Members

I use one for clean boost. It works very well with all my amps, JVM, DSL, Blackstar, Tech21. When I use it with my Fender Dual Showman I'll crank up the gain. It's a nice, smooth tone, not harsh. I like the 2 tone controls. If you happen to have a EP Booster also made by Exotic, the two work VERY well together. I put the EP in front of the BB.

• Members

I use one for clean boost. It works very well with all my amps, JVM, DSL, Blackstar, Tech21. When I use it with my Fender Dual Showman I'll crank up the gain. It's a nice, smooth tone, not harsh. I like the 2 tone controls. If you happen to have a EP Booster also made by Exotic, the two work VERY well together. I put the EP in front of the BB.

Can you detail on how exactly you utilize those pedals together? I was thinking about a Katana boost to boost for leads, but maybe you use the EP a bit diff

• Members

Check out this video. I've never found 2 OD type pedals that worked well together. Usually you end up with a bunch of fizzy, over compressed mud. The Xotic pedals all seem to work very well together. I like the BB on its own, but by adding the EP it adds some high end eq but in a very good way, it puts you up front in the mix. For me having the two in the front end of my amps is like having an addition channel. They are both very transparent to both the amp and my guitars. That is they don't change the character of which ever amp or guitar I'm using, much the same way that channel switching works. The video does an good job of demo

• Members

Seems really nice as a lead booster and also a preamp buffer. I'm pretty set on the BB Comp & Maxon OD9 (maxon for light gain, BB Comp for more compressed gain), now the question is do I boost for my leads with the Katana or the EP booster? Both seem to have advantages...I like how the EP would pair with the BB Comp, but I like how you can adjust the Katana with your foot. Or maybe I should look at the AC Booster plus? But that seems like more of an overdrive and less of just a boost for solos.

Archived