Korg X50 - any good for analog?

Gumimaci

• Members

I live far away from the only store in my country where you can try it and buy it and that's why I asked the community for a help, can it sound analog or not. Thank you for your advice, it's certainly the best thing to do anyway.

That sucks you can't demo it...I mean if all you have to rely on is our help I feel for you! Personally I like Korg products and for that sound you specified in your first post, I'd say get it! The board definitely has what you're looking for.

If it's true blue analog you want then Christian Rock will know Exactly what you should get.:thu:

• Members

I live far away from the only store in my country where you can try it and buy it and that's why I asked the community for a help, can it sound analog or not. Thank you for your advice, it's certainly the best thing to do anyway.

That depends entirely on what you think analog sounds like.

The X50 has simple analog waves such as sine, saw, square that can be used as a starting point. A sine wave on an X50 sounds like a sine wave. The differences become apparent when you want to start altering the basic wave. The X50 has filters, amps, envelopes, and effects to change the wave, but it doesn't have the most of the common functions of a virtual analog to allow oscillators to modulate each other, such as cross/ring/sync modulation, frequency modulation (FM), unison, or a virtual patch matrix to allow LFOs or EGs to modulate these parameters. In most cases there is a wave in ROM that already have these modulations, but with no ability to control them like you can do on a VA synth. Sometimes you can use an effect like the stereo ring modulator to get the sound you want (bell).

I expect that the overwhelming majority of sounds that people would call "analog" could be done very easily by the X50. However, there are some more complex sounds that might be difficult or impossible to do without a virtual analog synth. That's why both still have their own advantages and disadvantages. Virtual analog synth can also have a lot of knobs dedicated to the analog structure parameters, and many people like that for changing things when playing live or when learning how to make/edit sounds. The 4 knobs on the X50 don't serve that purpose very well, and I only use the editor/librarian software to edit it and then to assign the knobs to the 4 parameters that are most important to adjust when playing them.

Archived