Need some advice (vintage Airline/Harmony content)

• Members

So I already have a 22" scale vintage Airline guitar that I love for open tunings and slide, but I have the opportunity to pretty much sell it and use the money for a Harmony H-75. I would have to pay no money out of pocket, the money from the Airline would completely cover the Harmony. Now my question is, do you think this would be a good idea? I know the Airline res-o-glass models like the one I have have a very unique tone and are fairly desirable, but ultimately my Airline was a top of the line student model while the Harmony H-75 was a top of the line professional model. What do you guys think?

FWIW, I'd be using it for slide/open tunings, garage rock, and maybe even some alternative sounding stuff.

Thanks

• Members

For the garage/alt stuff, the H-75 will kill. It (the H-75) is NOT suited for slide....the neck is slimmer by far, and you may get frustrated aiming tween the strings.

If it were my $$, I'd still go for the H-75, then find one of Harmony's old clunky Hollowbody Stratotones for the slide (H-45, 46 or 47)....the DeArmond's in the Stratos will make your slide sing.

The only better thing than a H-45 (for slide) would be one of the P-13-equip'd hollowbody (like a H-62 or H-58 Roy Smeck) or one of the HolyGrail H-44's, but you probably wont find one under a grand.

The H-75 is one of my favorites...I've owned 3 (pictured below) and modified one with a Filtertron and Ric pickup...I still use the goldtone DeArmond almost exclusively...it's that good for garage/alt.

The H-45's are way underestimated for slide...great little things. Chunky neck that likes to resonate under a slide. I've owned a bunch (again) and would avoid the H-49 ONLY because you want a slide and it has a thinner neck (like the H-75)

H-75 and variants:

ac6a99be.jpg

H-44, (unbeatable slide player)

H-47 (OEM oddball model)

H-49 (GREAT player, but not for slide)

H-45 (bad re-fin, great slide)

DSCN0170.jpg

H-58 Smeck on the right

clinic_kids_1084.jpg

• Members

Thanks for the replies guys, pretty sure I'm going to pick up the H-75

Lefort, awesome collection you got there! Good to know the H-75 is good for garage and alternative sounding stuff. Most of the youtube videos of it are just of people playing either blues or jazzy sounding stuff, so it's hard to tell exactly how versatile the guitar is. So would it be safe to say that the guitar can do stuff like the Shins, the Flaming Lips, Fleet Foxes, and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs fairly well? Just trying to get an idea of the versatility from someone who knows how this guitar sounds haha.

Also, How is the intonation on the H-75? I'm planning on replacing the stock wood bridge with something that can intonate better, as intonation issues are usually my biggest problem with older guitars.

• Members

So I went through with it, picked up the Harmony with the money made from selling the Airline and even still have a good bit of cash left over even after the purchase. Wow. The Harmony is a much better guitar than the Airline! It's easy to see that the Airline I had was a student guitar while this was a professional-level instrument. Intonates well, actually holds tune, sounds really clear, and dirties up nicely. Exceeded my expectations! Like a poor man's Gibson ES-330/Gretsch Country Gentleman. I love this guitar.

2012-06-12224111.jpg

• Members

Congrats, that's a great guitar! Old 60's non fender/gibson guitars are awesome, they don't get enough love but they are great for many things.

I'd love to find a silvertone guitar & amp in case. They are going for too much money these day though...

• Members

NICE SCORE! I really like the tobaccoburst on the 75. I had to sell mine bitd.

Its a bit hard to see in your pic.....does yours still have all 6 little amber knobs?

Make sure you don't lose them...they sell for about $25-30 each!!!

No one's made a good replacement afaik and the pot has a dinky 1/8th inch xhaft.

Also, there was a blackmarket in the toggleswitch tips (amoungst vintage LP collectors) because in the early 60's Harmony was ordering the exact same part from Switchcraft as was used on the 58/59 LP's, and those tips were known to crack. Hopefully all yours are still original.

• Members

Arrmatey, yeah the amp in case silvertone is a bit overpriced these days. I have a Danelectro '63 reissue which is a reissue of the 2 pickup Silvertone 1448, and I love it. The pickups are a bit brasher and metallic sounding than the vintage lipsticks, but I still really enjoy that guitar.

Lefort, I actually bought this guitar with the pictures showing all the knobs and pickup selector switches missing! Fortunately I kind of lucked out and found the pickup selector switches in the hardshell case it came with. Don't have any of the knobs though. I've heard they are a weird size and very rare, but honestly I really didn't mind that it was missing the knobs as long as it sounded and played well. I got the guitar at a really good price too so I'm not complaining haha.

Archived