Joy Division...what to check out?

aman74

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, Phone - it's insanely repeatable, innit? If you have access to a LARGE sound system in a decent space, I can highly recommend another five plays - the keyboard riff at the beginning sounds incredible through some decent speakers. That version is so superior to the original - makes you wonder (of course, the song was done long after Pete and Barney weren't talking, and Pete's the dance fan ... kind of obvious).

Lotta people don't seem to remember that sad as JD's music was, they WERE pretty funny. Love Ian's joke at the end of the cover of "Sister Ray" where he says "you should hear our version of 'Louie, Louie.'

Factory Records fans may or may not be aware of this fairly under-promoted release:

http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Records-Communications-Various-Artists/dp/B001E1GXP0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343052208&sr=8-1&keywords=factory+records

There's also an American version as an MP3 download:

http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Records-Communications-1978-92-version/dp/B002FU8LQ8/ref=sr_1_1_title_1_mus?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1343052438&sr=1-1&keywords=factory+records

Amazon's track listing is lazy as hell (not listing the artists on a compilation CD? Really?), but I can hugely vouch for the UK version. Key tracks from the biggies (JD/NO, OMD, Happy Mondays) but also key tracks from bands like Durutti Column (ALL guitarists need to listen to Vini Reilly) and Section 25, Cab Voltaire, etc.

• Members

I would agree that after Blue Monday New Order steered away from the brooding energy of Joy Division and headed down Arthur Baker Avenue. But Movement and Factus 8 are in the "same sport" IMO.

Yeah, I remember loving Movement -then getting Blue Monday on that giant floppy disc looking vinyl when it was released. Thought 'What happened?" Maybe it was the abscence of Martin Hannett. They became too dancey, computerized, sterile & uninteresting.

Archived