How Much Ram For Recording PC?

Player99

• Members

If you've get one of the current gen i7s (the ones that start with a 3), then they should have the HD4000 graphics built in to the chip. Apparently it's pretty decent, not gaming decent though.

So you don't need something with discrete graphics right off the bat, it would pay to make sure it has the appropriate expansion slots though.

I'd make sure the motherboard is at least mATX as they have most of the features of full ATX (including up to 32 gig of ram) with only a few less expansion slots.

The difference between SATA 2 and 3 is probably not gonna be apparent with a mechanical HDD.

Keep in mind that you'll probably want to add more HDDs in future. One for samples, one for OS/programs, one for audio and project files etc.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

^^^ Thanks again for your input. What do you mean by "discrete graphics"? I would get a separate card I think... something with 1-2 gigs and no fan. I do graphics work, but nothing taxing as far as video. I work with huge Photoshop files but the on-board card would handle that. The separate card would be insurance.

ATX... I bet that $850 Asus has mATX because it is low on pci slots.

The transfer on the sata2 vs 3 is twice the speed. That is not noticeable? I will definitely be using 2 drives, just not sure if I want a ssd for the c drive or not.

• Members

Back when I started, I was told over and over that all I would need for 8 channel input recording was a Pentium 2. :-)

It always amazes me how the standards keep going up. People have been doing great, high quality computer based recording for the last ten-plus years, and never needed an i7 with 16 gigs of RAM. :-D

That said, faster and more powerful is always better.

• Members

^^^ Thanks again for your input. What do you mean by "discrete graphics"? I would get a separate card I think... something with 1-2 gigs and no fan. I do graphics work, but nothing taxing as far as video. I work with huge Photoshop files but the on-board card would handle that. The separate card would be insurance.

ATX... I bet that $850 Asus has mATX because it is low on pci slots.

The transfer on the sata2 vs 3 is twice the speed. That is not noticeable? I will definitely be using 2 drives, just not sure if I want a ssd for the c drive or not.

Twice the throughput, but that doesn't mean the drive can use it. I suggest heading over to anandtech or some other computer hardware sites. You're getting some decent advice here and some awful advice.

Archived