Most realistic sounding "rock and roll" drum machine?

rlm297

• Members

I'm looking to do some recording and am looking for a great "rock and roll" drum machine.

Preferably hardware, because I like pressing buttons and turning knobs.

Any suggestions on what I should use to get convincing "living, breathing" acoustic drum sounds that sound natural and not synthetic?

Maybe something similiar to what ZZ Top used on "Sharp Dressed Man"?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Members

Nah, no drum machine will give you the finesse you can get from 2 GB drum sample library. There are of course bigger libraries (Superior 2.0, BFD...), but I find Addictive Drums... really addictive. You can't get that kind of variety and tweakability from drum machines (unless you shell out $$$ for the new MPCs).

• Members

I'm looking to do some recording and am looking for a great "rock and roll" drum machine.

Any suggestions on what I should use to get convincing "living, breathing" acoustic drum sounds that sound natural and not synthetic?

I would recommend an Akai MPC500 or MPC1000 for your needs because:

1. You're looking for a "hardware" drum machine

2. You can use any sound you can sample yourself (or any sound you can get your hands on)

The rest is up to you using creativity and programming skills. You'll eventually get bored with a non-sampling drum machine do to the fact that there will be only so many onboard sounds.

• Members

Get Addictive Drums. It's not hardware, but it's rocking.

Mr. EvilDragon has a very cool track where he used Addictive. I was impressed with the track and the drums:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showpost.php?p=32345510&postcount=825

EZDrummer has a good soundset. Its very limited as to editing, but it's a good solid sound.

• Members

It's prog
:D

Wow evildragon, very rich composition -musically and synthly. Formidable amount of work to lay down those drums [realistic playability!], let alone the synth work. The short sequence starting at 02:09mn sounded freaking fantastic to my ears. I wish it had lasted longer to see how it would have evolved on its own. It was like taking candy away from a kid's mouth, but that was an excellent [and smart] musical tactic in a way: because the song is constantly evolving and very unpredictable, it keeps the listener hooked for its entirety. The choirs at 06:24mn sounded realistic and very JMJarrish!

Know what this reminds me of? onboard demo songs on synths. I'm certain you would do a great job if you were approached by some synth maker. Consider exploring that route. And congrats:thu:

• Members

Hey thanks for the comments. Those are just my synth tracks I did, but the whole composition is made by the whole band, there are bassplayer's, guitarist's and singer's ideas in here. The whole track will go in studio and other instruments will be recorded.

But our producer sucks and that track most certainly will lose half the synths I did, so remember this song by this one mp3 you hear :)

The choirs at 06:24 are reinforced with strings and pipe organ, I aimed for "majestic" feel there.

My fav part in the whole song is the moog lead, of course! :thu:

• Members

He also said he wants to get "living, breathing sound", which SR-16 can't provide, sorry. AD can. Because it's plainly better. He also said "preferably" and not "definitely".

He can get AD cheaply and a padKontrol to have some pads to hit when programming. It's a fairly affordable solution and the sound is topnotch.

• Members

Well, he also said that he wanted drums like those that you find on the Eliminator album.

In which case, if one insists on hardware, I too would go with the Akai MPC solution.

Because, if I recall, the ZZ Top Eliminator "drum machine" was really Frank Beard's drums sampled into a Fairlight CMI. :lol:

• Members

abeLaboriel3.jpg

rock n' roll? check.

Hardware? check.

living and breathing? check.

:D

AD is great by the way. completely blows ezDrummer away.

also very nice (especially for your ZZTop application) is Stylus RMX with Abe Laboriel's (see above) Burning Grooves S.A.G.E. expansion.

http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/stylusrmx.html

http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/xpanders/

• Members

I was going to mention Stylus, but I thought it was more hip-hop oriented. Yes? No?

More like dance -y remix stuff (some old timey hip-hop, some downtempo, some faster dance stuff, some breakbeats)

BUT you can buy REX loop libraries in any style, and convert them for use in Stylus RMX. Further, you can pull the individual hits out and recombine them to make your own kit. Plus you can make your own samples...slice them in Recycle...export as REX and use them in Stylus RMX.

• Members

In order of quality as far as software

1-Fxpansion BFD

2-Addictive Drums

3-EZdrummer

4-Stylus....is dated,a bunch of loops thrown into a" Sage" engine and they still suck.

I've tried them all.BFD is the best IMHO.Some find the size,detail and complexity a bit daunting,that's precisely why I find it to be the best

Hardware is a matter of going down to Scam Cash or listening to Demo's online and choosing to taste.

My TBD is sold.

Archived