Pc wont register midi keyboard...

Adey

• Members

Hi there,

Im having a problem connecting my KB to my pc as a midi controller.

On my old PC i used a midi (in,out) to serial connecter (gameport) and off i went, i didnt have to do anything to the keyboard or in Cubase SX.

Now, my new PC has no serial connecter, so im using a serial-usb adapter that came with my logitec wingman joystick. But im not getting any midi signal

to my pc, i cant find anything in cubaseSX that fixes this, there is an option to activate midi ports but i think this is refering to the softwares virtual ports not literaly turning on a physical port on my pc.

I remember at school we used to have to activate the keyboard into midi mode, in order to send midi to the pc, but that was 10 years ago and i cant remember how to do it, my keyboard (casio CTK-650) only has an LED display

so unless you know what to do, its hard to make sense of it.

Im using Xp with on board sound (for now!!!),

My old rig had an Audigy which i connected too via a serial gameport.

Any help would be great,

Thanks guys/gals

Ade

• Members

edit: i reed gud:

As for activating ports in Cubase; yes, it does mean physical ports. If you have an 8 in, 8 out interface, you usually don't want all 8 inputs to be listed - just the 2 you actually use :).

Seconding evildragon's suggestion, serial connectors are crap. 30 bucks later and you have an E-mu Xmidi 1x1.

• Members

So midi>serial>usb is not as good as a midi>usb then, ok no probs.

I used a midi to serial before on old rig, and there was latancy, but i though that was related to my audio cards latency, like when recording audio.

Although on my SB Audigy my audio recording latency was about 10ms which is a lot lower than the midi recording latancy i had, so i guess that demonstrates your argument for that fancy cable.

Id still like to get this cable working if possible though, cuz i plan on getting a complete audio interface in the summer anyway, which will take care of that.

Does midi data get lost when its converted from serial to usb? I did think it would be too good to be true, just because they cables join up dosnt mean

the data wont get lost in translation so to speak.

Thanks for you wise replies guys

Adey

[To admin] Im sorry about triple posting, i was using a library comp earlier and it was 404 ing when i pressed submit, so i re did it thinking it hadnt posted, how it came up three times though is beyond me.:arg:

• Members

I used a midi to serial before on old rig, and there was latancy, but i though that was related to my audio cards latency, like when recording audio.

What were you doing? Playing software synthesizers?

Does midi data get lost when its converted from serial to usb?

No, but your computer might not be able to recognize anything that's connected to that USB-to-serial cable.

I can try my suggestion anyway - did you connect the serial connector's MIDI in to your keyboard's MIDI out? (which is good) or is IN connected to IN? (which isn't good).

• Members

Yeah recording piano, bass and drum parts using the KBs onboard sounds for monitoring, then id open/assign the vst for playback. I had to pull the recorded parts back a notch though because of the lag.

Yes i have the IN connected to the OUT, i still remember the day i worked that out;)

I might just wait till i get my audio interface, i can punch in notes till then,

its ok for bass and drums, and i dont need any piano/keys in my songs at the moment.

Thanks for your's helps

Adey

Archived