Somewhat topical: Young president means crap music

ElectricPuppy

• Members

there was a surge of new amazing music in the 70s through the 80s and early 90s that was initiated by the rock/pop thing then exploded through VIDEO- then it all faded away- now we got {censored} [except for a fer exceptions here and there]

• Members

A few exceptions? (Sigh) You know, I used to be like you, always wrong about things, then I started making lists.

ahem...

...And you will know us by the trail of dead

Angels of Light

Antony and the Johnsons

Arab Strap

Arcade Fire

Beachhouse

Black Dice

The Blackheart Procession

Blonde Redhead

Brightblack Morning Light

Clinic

The Coathangers

Cut Copy

The Dead Texan

Der Blutharsch

Devandra Banhart

Devotchka

Dntel

Dose One

The Dresden Dolls

Editors

The Flaming Stars

The Fleet Foxes

Flux Information Sciences

Flogging Molly

Frog Eyes

{censored} Buttons

Funker Vogt

Fursaxa

Gogol Bordello

Grinderman

Have a Nice Life

Hong Kong Counterfeit

Icy Demons

Kap Bambino

The Killers

The Kills

Kira Kira

Kria Brekkan

Liars

M83

Mindflayer

My Morning Jacket...

... TV on the Radio, Aarktica, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, LCD Soundsystem, Godspeed, Silver Mt. Zion, Sparklehorse, Sparkling Wide Pressure, T.Raumschmiere, Tim Hecker, Stars of the Lid, The Walkmen, VNV nation, the Rapture, Burial, The Raveonettes, The Ruby Suns, etc. etc.

Seriously, you're just not looking hard enough - translation - you've fallen behind the times, pops. There's more, good, recent bands and artists of any given type then a person could ever be fully aqquianted with.

• Members

You mean making lists is the key? I can do that!

I think the key is to:

A) Turn off the radio. It's almost all {censored} now.

B) Turn off any music video channel. Ditto.

C) Use the other methods to discover music.

I recommend (OH NOEZ!) illegal file-trading. In the past, perhaps I'd recommend other, legal ways to discover today's good bands. But since the RIAA etc. insists on shutting down any potentially legal long-tail business methodology out there, they are sending a very clear message to college students that illegal file trading is the way to go. If you want to avoid a steady radio diet of Disney pop and crappy over-sexualized low-IQ pop dance, that is.

So, trade away. It's fun! All the college kids are doing it!

• Members

I thought this was an interesting article:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29002527/

Bottom-line: When artists are dissatisfied with the status quo, they make protest songs and whine about everything that's wrong. When they're happy, they make cheesy dance music.

Discuss.

Protest like songs.... :facepalm::facepalm: It's good every once in a while I guess, but the flood this entails is monotonous. Some groups I liked before Bush came into the office were really good and then once he took over, a couple bands music went to crap big time. So I'm no fan of a dumb pres. I do enjoy the saturation of cheese though. Ooo, I love all kinds. It's fun. Protest songs are good if they're good, but most becomes tiresome and that makes me tired. If they want to protest why don't they actually do something about it instead of acting like that's there way of protesting, when actually they're part of the lazy ass egotistic jerks who complain and don't do squat. If you want to protest then go actually protest.

• Members

A few exceptions? (Sigh) You know, I used to be like you, always wrong about things, then I started making lists.

ahem...

...And you will know us by the trail of dead

Angels of Light

Antony and the Johnsons

Arab Strap

Arcade Fire

Beachhouse

Black Dice

The Blackheart Procession

Blonde Redhead

Brightblack Morning Light

Clinic

The Coathangers

Cut Copy

The Dead Texan

Der Blutharsch

Devandra Banhart

Devotchka

Dntel

Dose One

The Dresden Dolls

Editors

The Flaming Stars

The Fleet Foxes

Flux Information Sciences

Flogging Molly

Frog Eyes

{censored} Buttons

Funker Vogt

Fursaxa

Gogol Bordello

Grinderman

Have a Nice Life

Hong Kong Counterfeit

Icy Demons

Kap Bambino

The Killers

The Kills

Kira Kira

Kria Brekkan

Liars

M83

Mindflayer

My Morning Jacket...

... TV on the Radio, Aarktica, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, LCD Soundsystem, Godspeed, Silver Mt. Zion, Sparklehorse, Sparkling Wide Pressure, T.Raumschmiere, Tim Hecker, Stars of the Lid, The Walkmen, VNV nation, the Rapture, Burial, The Raveonettes, The Ruby Suns, etc. etc.

Seriously, you're just not looking hard enough - translation - you've fallen behind the times, pops. There's more, good, recent bands and artists of any given type then a person could ever be fully aqquianted with.

hardly- many of the artists in that list are exactly what is wrong with modern music [like dresden dolls and the killers *pukes*]- they try too hard and pose too much- know what I mean? many of the decent ones are not new [like Antony or Der Blutharsch or Grinderman [just a new nick cave side project]]- the only good newish artist I see on there is M83

I can't 'fall behind' becasue I am always looking for new music and listen to last.fm recommendation radio 5-6 hours a day so I am saturated with all the new music out there [lastfm is easily the best way to hear new stuff]- occasionally I hear something good-

that is how I discovered Martial Canterel and the Wierd Records new cold wave scene [Opus Finis/ Human Puppets/ Epee Du Bois/ etc]- and I really like some of the 8-bit crowd - especially Bubblyfish- and there has also been a good resurgence of minimal techno- also there are always some great things coming from older 80s/90s artists like Fixmer/McCarthy for instance- but other than that I haven't heard much of anything new that is even worth downloading for free-

I definitely find TEN TIMES as much amazing music form the early 80s that I hadn't heard of or never got around to checking out when I was a kid with a limited cassette budget- THAT has been the real internet music revolution- finding stuff from the golden age

• Members

I think the key is to:

A) Turn off the radio. It's almost all {censored} now.

B) Turn off any music video channel. Ditto.

C) Use the other methods to discover music.

I recommend (OH NOEZ!) illegal file-trading. In the past, perhaps I'd recommend other, legal ways to discover today's good bands. But since the RIAA etc. insists on shutting down any potentially legal long-tail business methodology out there, they are sending a very clear message to college students that illegal file trading is the way to go. If you want to avoid a steady radio diet of Disney pop and crappy over-sexualized low-IQ pop dance, that is.

So, trade away. It's fun! All the college kids are doing it!

you heard of melbourne AUSTRALIAs

2 indi radio stations

playing a wide variety of music

3pbs and 3rrr

http://www.pbsfm.org.au/

http://www.rrr.org.au/

• Members

- the only good newish artist I see on there is M83

Don't know what you mean by "pose too much". :p

Surprised with the mention of your love of minimal / 8 bit you didn't give props to the mentioned T. Raumschmiere. *shrug*

You said you liked M83, which is electronic-oriented dream pop / shoegaze. Hmm. If *that's* your thing, I'd give Ulrich Schnauss a try. (And if you don't mind guitar-oriented dream pop / shoegaze, there's plenty of options. One of the mentioned bands, Blonde Redhead, started out as a Sonic Youth rip-off, but has since evolved in a more dreampop direction... 23 is a full-out dream pop album, and a darn good one at that.)

Coldwaveish goth bands? I've heard a couple that were pretty decent, as the goth scene moves away slowly from EBM (sort of)... can't remember what though... seems the biggest trend among gothsters is either 1980s New Wave revival (not that aping Depeche Mode hasn't been huge before, but it seems to be getting slicker)... or making EBM that's actually *angry* again (the so-called "aggrotech" genre getting revived).

Archived