Memory Moog Craigslist

SoundwaveLove

• Members

When I choose to reply in this forum or any other, I have 2 choices. I can tow the party line and spew the same rhetoric that you can find with a google search or I can relay my own experiences based on actually owning all this gear at the same time.

a) Wow! MemoryMoog - like 6 MiniMoogs in one! Biggest baddest synth ever!

b) For me, the MemoryMoog was a limited synth compared to the other vintage analogs I had at the same time and I found it harder to fit into a mix than any other synth I owned. The MIDI, even with LAMM, was fairly primitive, and as a result of all that, I decided to sell it.

First let me say I was just giving you crap. I also have a lot of respect for you and enjoyed meeting/hanging with you last summer.

I can't logically argue with anything you've said. No party line from me - I love the Memorymoog, always have. Never sounded much like a mini to me let alone 6 of them, or a Voyager for that matter. I own both of those as well and appreciate that they provide different sound qualities from the memorymoog. The midi sucks, always has but at least when recording I'm glad that it has any midi at all. I added it later after the kit came out. BTW you failed to mention how limited the sequencer is.:facepalm: We all know every synth has their marketing bs (Linear Arithmetc anyone?). If someone is stupid enough to embrace anything based on marketing hype well good luck to them.

And yeah- the memmoog is limited as hell. So is a mini, so is a Voyager. And so is an OB-8, so is a Profit 5, so is a Roland Jupiter 8. Just in different ways. Any full featured rompler is much more versatile. Doesn't mean either one of us is going to prefer it's sound quality (OK now I'm being patronizing). But even analogs with multi-filters which are more versatile may not give me the sound quality I like. Then again that's why I have various analogs including the not so non-versatile A6. I sure did like that Wave btw.

Bottom line is we all like what we like. Some because they drank the marketing punch and some (like you) because we have lived with this stuff for a really long time. I will in most cases tell people to forget about buying a memorymoog knowing how much work it takes to keep them operating.

Finally I will point out that I rarely if ever jump in on a Roland fan boy thread and share how I dislike Roland synths. But I can understand letting off some frustrations from past bad experiences.

Archived