Rant: Spend your time wisely

Yoozer

• Members

That's procrastination. Because you know you have that blank canvas waiting there for your brush, and you either
a) know you have no ideas to convey, or
b) are afraid to try, lest you find out you have no ideas OR
c) are afraid you DO have ideas.

The last is most problematic, because if you DO have ideas ya gotta put 'em out there. If you do that, you become vulnerable to all kinds of criticism - not least from yourself, and from the tapes of other's voices that play constantly in our own minds. So it's safer to merely rearrange the furniture.

THIS is my constant struggle. I never feel like my setup is quite right, that something is preventing me from doing something I want to do. But then, when I don't have that feeling, I just sit and stare at my gear like a blank canvas and don't know what to do with it all.

:D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
IWhen I sit down here, I always have the nagging feeling that something's not right; either things aren't hooked up correctly, or I have to throw the placement of synthesizers around again; pushing myself to do something instead of writing something is still not easy.

I hear ya. Obviously you're not alone in this.

The answer is the same as before - tell your other self (the one that worries too much) to STFU, hit "record" on your DAW, and then sort through your recording later. :cool:

• Members
THIS is my constant struggle. I never feel like my setup is quite right, that something is preventing me from doing something I want to do. But then, when I don't have that feeling, I just sit and stare at my gear like a blank canvas and don't know what to do with it all.

Fire up a MIDI track, hit "Record" and..... [video attached]:thu:

Archived