Inexpensive suggestions/cranked (tube) amp rig

1_Way

• Members

Just get either a HotPlate or Weber and use your current speaker cab. If you go the other routes you will spend a ton of cash and it still won't sound the same as if you just cranked the amp.

I tried the Cream Machine method and it works best by itself or run into a SS power amp.

• Members

CremeTele

I'm not quite tempted to consider your suggestion. But you could be kind enough to tell us what it costs. (chuckles) Maybe you should re-read the first line of my first post. I am poor but working. I need "economical" suggestions. Please keep in mind that I already own an awesome sounding 50watt Marshall amp.

But I must say, everything that I have heard about the univalve is great and might work wonders, except for one thing. I'm not sure it does a very convincing classic Marshall sound. If not, then I would not be satisfied. I'm a true-blue, dyed in the wool, faithful and proud of it, Marshall amp person. Well, that British sound is close enough, old Hiwatts and others may apply, but to this rookie in the tube amp world, Marshall rules.

• Members

ned,
My suggest WAS to get a Weber Mass... It would be used to crank it as much as you suggest to crank the amp. So if my suggestions wont crank the amp enough, neither will yours, so that comment brings confusion to me. My suggestions only raise the cost by fitting a more appropriate speaker cab for bedroom volumes, which is a good idea no matter how you approach generating the tone.

And the only other cost that you say would cost "a ton of cash", is running the line out from the Weber Mass (it comes with the power attenuator) into some other clean amp, like a little monitor PA amp or a clean guitar amp. I don't mind having such an added expense, which reasonable if you need one in the first place. My drummer and I play everything through his single PA and set of PA speakers, and sooner or later that has got to stop. So far we mic his drums, our vocals, and backing tracks all on one PA. Adding a separate PA system should clean things up and protect our equipment from overuse and abuse quite a bit.

You said

I tried the Cream Machine method and it works best by itself or run into a SS power amp.

Cool, that is the idea for my Marshall amp too. Either use just the power attenuator on a 50watt Marshall amp and bring it down to bedroom levels, in which case EVERYONE I know says that by doing so, you will degrade the tone down to zilch, it'll be mostly distortion with the tone literally zapped out of it. Now, I could be wrong about that, but I've been researching this for months now, and that somewhat exaggeration is the faithfully repeated description I keep hearing.

Or alternatively, just attenuate down to nothing (full dummy load) and then line out into a SS amp like you suggested with the Cream Machine.

I need to purchase the power attenuator first, and see how that goes, and then get the SS amp (if I determine that it is needed). The power amp is needed for our jam sessions, but I hope it can wait for a while as long as we don't play too loudly.

• Members

PRMike
Yes, but I believe it's one watt. Well, from 0.1 clean to 1 watt w/distortion. Your talking about a ~$450 amp expense, right? That amp is cute, handy and tempting.

Like I keep saying, I already own a 50watt Marshall amp. I don't need another amp to generate the cranked amp sound. I need help creating "quiet" cranked amp sound at under $300-$400.

And I greatly prefer using my Marshall tube amp and go from there. It sounds great and I already own it...

• 5 months later...

Archived