Orange Rockerverb vs Marshall DSL

JeffreyCH

• Members

Hi,

I'm the proud owner of an Orange Rockerverb 50. I'd like to see others opinions/comparisons between these 2 amps - pros/cons/etc. I know it's a matter of opinion. I used to own a DSL, but it just wasn't the amp for me - not the sound I was looking for and not unique enough. Just curious to what others think - who has owned or had experience comparing these 2?

Thx.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've played them both and I think they're both really high gain amps, however, I think the DSL is higher gain. Although, I read somewhere that the DSL has some solid state circuitry introduced in the highest gain channel - that channel sounds like {censored}e in my opinion. You could get the same sound from a crappy distortion pedal.

• Members

Ckreon - just curious - are you referring to power tube saturation? If so, I would agree. I was referring to more of the preamp tube side at more moderate volume levels. Really cranked, I think the Orange makes the Marshall seem like a Crate!!

• Members

Juat got my RV100 last week and have played through a friends DSL many hours. I would say the Orange has less preamp gain, more useable gain. The Orange is a hard amp for me to compare to anyother I've played or had because it's an amp that is without extremes. By that I mean that on most amps the sound you get with one or more of the controls maxed out would be extreme and mostly unusable but I can't find a setting on the RV where things are too extreme that they sound bad. Want to turn the gain all the way up and crank the bass and treble? Go for it, it's still kinda scooped and "nu-metal" sounding but not overly so that wouldn't sometime use it.

I find the RV to be a little dark for me but with a gain that is articulate enough to compensate for that darkness when chording. This amp does low note riffing on my seven string as good or better than any I've had (including a few VHT's and Soldano's). I also have a Tremoverb at the moment and the RV is far superior IMO although without the features.

• Members

Originally posted by entertheiceman

Juat got my RV100 last week and have played through a friends DSL many hours. I would say the Orange has less preamp gain, more useable gain. The Orange is a hard amp for me to compare to anyother I've played or had because it's an amp that is without extremes. By that I mean that on most amps the sound you get with one or more of the controls maxed out would be extreme and mostly unusable but I can't find a setting on the RV where things are too extreme that they sound bad. Want to turn the gain all the way up and crank the bass and treble? Go for it, it's still kinda scooped and "nu-metal" sounding but not overly so that wouldn't sometime use it.

I find the RV to be a little dark for me but with a gain that is articulate enough to compensate for that darkness when chording. This amp does low note riffing on my seven string as good or better than any I've had (including a few VHT's and Soldano's). I also have a Tremoverb at the moment and the RV is far superior IMO although without the features.

I both a Orange RV50 and a Tremoverb 2x12 combo,.....I don't think the Rockerverb is "far superior" at all. They are both fantastic sounding amps with different voices.

• Members

Originally posted by JeffreyC

Ckreon - just curious - are you referring to power tube saturation? If so, I would agree. I was referring to more of the preamp tube side at more moderate volume levels. Really cranked, I think the Orange makes the Marshall seem like a Crate!!

yes, you understood me correctly. I can honestly that when you open up and orange, there's just no other amp that can really compare. Even my dual recto, which I love dearly, just isn't quite there.

• Members

Originally posted by JeffreyC

Hi,

I'm the proud owner of an Orange Rockerverb 50. I'd like to see others opinions/comparisons between these 2 amps - pros/cons/etc. I know it's a matter of opinion. I used to own a DSL, but it just wasn't the amp for me - not the sound I was looking for and not unique enough. Just curious to what others think - who has owned or had experience comparing these 2?

Thx.

Orange RV100 and Marshall TSL owner here.

Since getting my Orange, my TSL doesn't get played with much...

• Members

Originally posted by Cibyl

I both a Orange RV50 and a Tremoverb 2x12 combo,.....I don't think the Rockerverb is "far superior" at all. They are both fantastic sounding amps with different voices.

For what I play I just don't hear that. The gain on the T-verb wears very thin on me after playing for a while and I don't feel that it sits as well in the mix at any setting. YMMV.

• Members

Originally posted by SgtThump

Yeah, but when you fired the TSL up the other night, you mentioned how killer it sounded.
:)

Depends on the room/situation.

By itself - ick at bearable volumes, by itself in a somewhat bright room - better, with a band - awesome!

The only reason I'm still hanging onto it is more or less in case I get into another band. Sometimes the bug hits me, and I gotta get out there and play some, other times, I couldn't give a shit less about doing it again.

• Members

Originally posted by kannibul

Depends on the room/situation.

By itself - ick at bearable volumes, by itself in a somewhat bright room - better, with a band - awesome!

The only reason I'm still hanging onto it is more or less in case I get into another band. Sometimes the bug hits me, and I gotta get out there and play some, other times, I couldn't give a shit less about doing it again.

I think you said the other day that you fired up the TSL after not playing it since you got the Orange and you were pleasantly surprised at how kick ass it sounded. :) So don't be so quick to jump on the "Orange is better than everything else" bandwagon. Those amps are just different.

• Members

Orange RV100 and Marshall TSL owner here.

Since getting my Orange, my TSL doesn't get played with much...

I only played each for about 10 minutes, but the Orange was by far the better sounding amp. More punch and more responsive to how hard you dig into the strings.

• Members

Are the Orange heads known for a low mid meaty type of tone (like Bogner, Budda, etc...)?

Chris

I'd say it's in the Bogner (Shiva, 101B) direction, but still got it's own thing.

Meaty, yes. It makes my Marshall sound like a kazoo in comparison. But, I'm referring mostly to the Rockerverb in that regard.

The AD Series is more in the vintage grain - like a darker plexi/JCM800 (though not quite as much gain as an 800), IMO. The AD140HTC I had for a while, also didn't leave much room for my TSL in terms of raw tone and potential (it didn't have the gain I was expecting, the two channels are NOT clones, and the bottom end wasn't "thumpy" like I hoped) - but, the AD140HTC wasn't for me, and Orange let me trade it back in for a Rockerverb (plus a bit of cash)

The older Oranges - I don't know personally, other than someone in fleetwood mac used one, and I think Jimmy Page used one for a bit too - though Jimmy used anything that was put in front of him - lol.

The only budda I heard was Pete's - I think his was the 18 watt head - but I don't remember. I was so damn green when it came to tone and names and so on - {censored} I think I had been on this forum for only 6 months - I didn't know {censored} (not that I know much more now - I just know more on what I like...) - so I can't comment on the similarities and differences.

Anyhow - if you get a chance to try one, do it - it might not be for you, or it might be just the thing.

• Members

I think you said the other day that you fired up the TSL after not playing it since you got the Orange and you were pleasantly surprised at how kick ass it sounded.
So don't be so quick to jump on the "Orange is better than everything else" bandwagon. Those amps are just different.

But, I'm the one pulling the cart!

Seriously, it slaughters my TSL for tone - at least, in terms of my personal tone, but every once in a while, I pull out the TSL and play with it - and my memory of how "bad" it is in comparison, is shown to be a bit exaggerated. My Orange is still WAY better - but it's not a Orange=10, TSL=1 - more like a Orange=10, TSL=4.5

Again, it's all my opinion on it, and while I might be a bit nutty, a lot of sane people agree with me on it! :D

And the other thing too - is the TSL sounds great in a band context. On the other hand, I'm sure the Orange does too, however, the last thing I want is to take it in a bar and have it come out a bit browner in color than when it went in. Yeah, it's a toy for me at home, and my TSL is my bar-amp - same with my 68 Custom :)

• Members

Originally posted by Allthewayto11

I only played each for about 10 minutes, but the Orange was by far the better sounding amp. More punch and more responsive to how hard you dig into the strings.

Hey - long time!

How's that bassman holding up?

There was a reason I had my TSL setup before the Orange - had I done it the other way around, it would have been Oklahoma TSLBashFest :)

• Members

Hey - long time!

How's that bassman holding up?

There was a reason I had my TSL setup before the Orange - had I done it the other way around, it would have been Oklahoma TSLBashFest

I'm still diggin' the '59, just wish it had a little more volume.;) I have a sense that if Brent had been playing his VHT UL w/ KT88s at full volume the '59 still would have drowned him out. I'd really like to have that cranked tone at a reasonable volume. Can you use a soak on a combo?

• Members

I'm loving this and glad I started the thread!!! One of my best friends and a long time jam buddy loves his DSL to death and he's played many times through my Orange and he's always trying to talk me into replacing it with a DSL. My rockerverb head is just what I've always wanted - I love my Reeves/Hiwatt head too, but you can't really compare those two. I think the Orange and the DSL/TSL are similar enough to compare and both are great amps, but all the posts I'm seeing just makes me feel better about loving the Orange more. What an incredible amp!

• Members

Originally posted by Allthewayto11

I'm still diggin' the '59, just wish it had a little more volume.
;)
I have a sense that if Brent had been playing his VHT UL w/ KT88s at full volume the '59 still would have drowned him out. I'd really like to have that cranked tone at a reasonable volume. Can you use a soak on a combo?

I don't see why not!

If the speakers don't have a plug to go into the chassis, it's a easy thing to add - the only thing is that your amp would no longer be stock, so it could hurt the resale value, if that matters to you :)

Archived