Head w. 3 independent channels

Hömppä-Humppa

• Members

Now, I really don't need high gain amp for ultimate heavy stuff. ;) I have tested Framus amps, and thery're just high gain. I have also tested Peavey XXX and the clean sounds were like "screech" (=bad), and as far as I know, the JSX is based on XXX.

Maybe I should raise my budget.

Have anyone tried Crate Amps? The controls seem great, I just wonder, is it just another high gain amp, or is it capable to deliver VERY GOOD CLEAN SOUNDS too? And that little crunch?
It has too much power for me (150w) but the power section uses six tubes, so it wouldn't be difficult to make it little less powerful.

• Members

You should raise your budget as you can not get a proper new 3-channel head AND a new cab for under 1,500 Euros. 2,000 Euros may do the trick. You should try out a JSX. The clean is from the Classic series not the XXX and is VERY good. I've never played a Crate that I would buy (except maybe a powerblock for backup/travel purposes).

• Members
Originally posted by Stratotone

Some of us don't have euro-calculators available. Here's a terrific idea - why don't you go try out amps in person? Or are you rude to people who try to help you in music stores too?

Pete

Oh, geez! Now YOU'RE trying to offend me on purpose. Don't take that post too personally! :)
One thing I don't like these forums that you never can know if that guy really is joking or pissed off...

It's more easier in music store if you know what you want when you walk in. Believe me, I worked short time in music store, and it can sometimes be very frustrating for the seller if the customer has no idea of what he/she wants. I just have to find an amp that has the specs I want so that I can ask staight from the seller do they have that amp and if I can test it. I have a very clear idea of what I want, and I just got frustrated when people suggested things I thought I made clear I really don't want.

Btw. 1 euro = approximately 1.2 dollars. Or if it's too hard you can just think it as 1:1. It's general knoledge - or so we Europeans think ;).

• Members

One thing too though is the price of gear in different countries... I know that Mesa gear is a hell of a lot more expensive there than here. How about a Peavey JSX for that reason?

That's true. JSX is on the list of amps that I'm going to test. I just have my suspicions for that amp, because in Peavey site they say, that channels 1 & 2 are based on XXX (bad thing), but it's an option.

One other idea.... and I know you didn't ask for this, but hell, you're on a budget... is a good TWO channel amp, and run an overdrive pedal on your clean channel for an extra channel.

Pete

Yes, that's not a bad option either. I'm testing many amps, and if I find THAT sound from a two channel amp, then I'll buy that amp. I'm going to build "all under one button" system with Ground Control Pro, and it just would be easier if the amp had three channels on its own. And for me less gear = better.

• Members
Originally posted by Bob Savage

I got this far and didn't really like your attitude, so I stopped reading.

But you still bothered to write that. Weird... ;)

Quote from my previous post:
I have a very clear idea of what I want, and I just got frustrated when people suggested things I thought I made clear I really don't want.

I admit the sentence you quoted was a bit rude, but as I said I got frustrated of all those none use replies. I'll take it back.

• Members

Originally posted by travis bickle

damn, is there any amp you do like? you've shot down just about every suggestion given. im actually surprised these guys are still helpin you out.

I'm a kind of perfectionist... And I do have a very clear idea of what I want, many repliers suggested gear that I said in my first post I don't like. But obviously my problem (beside my head:D) is my budget, so I'll have to raise it.

• Members
Originally posted by Bob Savage

Pointing out your bad attitude was really no bother at all, and there's nothing weird about it.

Wasn't there? Right ;). I believe you misunderstood my attitude, or I made you misunderstand my attitude with that comment.

Another quote from my previous post:
"One thing I don't like these forums that you never can know if that guy really is joking or pissed off..."

So, for correction - I never ment to offend anyone, or show bad attitude. I appreciate all the help I get, but I think you're now underestimating me. The first replies left me feeling, that everybody just read the title and then it was just a race of who gets to be valid first no matter what I wrote to the first post. If I'd want one of those common high gain amps there wouldn't be any problem and I never wouldn't have posted a question to this forum.

I really don't want to argue with you. Let's forget this and shake hands?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Originally posted by Knut E Evenmo

Bob is 20 years older than you..... (being born in `86):D ha ha ha :D But you should try out a Koch Powertone with EL34`s. One squeaky clean channel, one that can go from clean to higain, and one from clean to monster, with a little different voicing. You also have a solo boost for all 3 ch, and axess electronics have made a cable to run it with their amp switcher. You can try them @ www.custom-sounds.com

hyv

Archived