Flexi 50 Rules!

denkst

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members
Originally posted by denkst

Bob, all I did to record a soundclip was throw my Stedman SM-57 clone in front of the Vintage speaker angled in 45 degrees into my MBox and couldn't believe how well it recorded. I would post it but the clip is huge (78MB) and, honestly, I am embarrassed by my playing. Gotta get over that and jump right in. I'll post some soundclips at some point.

Thanks so much!!

George

Sounds good, thanks for posting the clip! Would you mind telling more specifically how you angled that V30? speaker...was it so that first the mic was pointed close and center of the speaker and then you just turned the cab 45 degrees on the floor and the mic stayed where it was at start? Or was the cab "rotated" like a tilt-backed (Fender) amp? - hmm, hope you did understood what I was asking. :)

Mikko

• Members

Thanks Myron. That video you and Alex did was a deal closer for me as far as getting a flexi. Did I see somewhere that you have V30s in your THD 2x12?

Thanks.

George

Hi George!!!

Sorry for the ultra-late reply, I just saw your question! I have v30 and a cl80 in my THD 2x12, sounds AWESOME!:)

• Members

Finally Here goes:

Hey George,

I'm glad to see everything turned out O.K., at least, I'm assuming everything was well at your place when you got to go back home?

Anyway, that's way different than the tones I was pulling out of the Flexi, very cool!

• Members
Originally posted by Mikko Vainiala

Sounds good, thanks for posting the clip! Would you mind telling more specifically how you angled that V30? speaker...was it so that first the mic was pointed close and center of the speaker and then you just turned the cab 45 degrees on the floor and the mic stayed where it was at start? Or was the cab "rotated" like a tilt-backed (Fender) amp? - hmm, hope you did understood what I was asking.
:)

Mikko

Mikko, first of all the speaker's made by THD and is called a Vintage. So it's not a Celestion V30. I'm unsure if they're similar in tone or not. The way I miked the speaker was this way: instead of simply placed the mike in front of the cone dead center, I moved it left of center and angled it 45 degrees to the left. That would be 45 degrees if we considered miking it straight on 90 degrees. Hope this helps.

Thanks!

George

• Members
Originally posted by Myron Stratis

Hi George!!!

Sorry for the ultra-late reply, I just saw your question! I have v30 and a cl80 in my THD 2x12, sounds AWESOME!
:)

Thanks Myron. I'm loving my Flexi. BTW is the Suhr you're playing in the video yours or Alex's? Man thats a sweet guitar. I plan on getting one very soon.

Take Care,
George

• Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

Hey George,

I'm glad to see everything turned out O.K., at least, I'm assuming everything was well at your place when you got to go back home?

Anyway, that's way different than the tones I was pulling out of the Flexi, very cool!

Thanks Bob. Yeah everything is okay. I was able to check out all my gear and it's okay. The house only lost a few shingles but we're still unable to move back into the New Orleans as the city lacks power. God knows if the water is potable either.

Thanks again for the amp. I can't wait to play it again but crank it!!

George

• Members

Originally posted by Myron Stratis

It is mine and it is an awesome instrument, Suhrs are really great!~

Mind giving me the detailed specs on that baby? I am constantly trying to figure out which configuration to order when I get one. So knowing what yours sounds like helps me make a decision. Thanks!

George

• Members

Just got Bob Savage's Flexi 50 yesterday. Even at low volumes this mother sounds ballsy and full. Had the volume, boost and boost tone cranked, mids up, treble at noon and bass at 9 with master up to about a speaking tone level. Can't wait to dig in some more in my practice space and get those power tubes cooking. Wow! What a great product.

I love my Flexi too. Disable the Master Volume and crank it into a Hot-Plate or Air Brake and you'll really be in for a treat!

• Members

Originally posted by Ed DeGenaro

Or alternately my new fave setting...everything at 2 o'lcock in the low gain input with the boost on.

I agree. The low gain input has some killer tones as well. I could easily use three or four Flexis (all setup differently) to get all the tones I like out of the thing! With the setup I described, I like footswitching the Boost to give me a crunchy rhythm and a high gain lead. The Flexi does those two tones (for my tastes) better than anything I've played.

BTW, I still have not found a second in my schedule to check those issues I was having. I wanna' use it in the studio this Sunday (the engineer specifically requested it!), so I gotta' make time this weekend to see if it's just a fuse. I hope it is. I'll be using the HC30R as well. But, I'd really like to bring the Flexi, HC30R and Maz 18 and set each up for what they do best. They're all killer amps, but pretty different. Love 'em all!

Archived