Trademark 10 - Are they naturally noisy?

LP50

• Members

I'm searching for a new practice amp for the new apartment (gotta sound decent at low volume, and gotta have headphone out) and I found a used Tech21 Trademark10 at a local shop a few days ago. I played through it for a few minutes and found it to be really pretty noisy (playing through a humbucker Les Paul too).

It was humming quite a bit - just wonder if that's the standard for these things, or was it an electrical ground problem in the shop or or what?

The guitar was my personal guitar too (was picking it up from having a set up done, and I know it doesn't have ground/noise problems) and the shop is -definitely- reputable - awesome place.

Just wonder if I should go for this amp (I really dig the line/mic output for recording into my Mac too) or should I just get a Peavey Blazer or something that's a little cheaper? I play through a Classic 30 normally, but it's way too loud for the apt. and there's no headphone jack.

Thanks for input!

• Members

Thanks guys. I'm going to go to GC and see if I can't get my hands on a new one. The shop I was at just had a used one (the one I tried) so that could have had something to do with it too. I asked if they could order a new one, but they said they couldn't.

BTW, Japetus, it was J. Gravity down in Soulard with the used one. If you've never been there, it's a -great- shop to deal with.

• Members

All respect to the other posters but don't do it!

Seriously check out the Behringer GM110. It's a dead copy of the Trademark 10, with thirty more watts, and a 10 inch Jensen.

SAME inputs outputs, ground lift, XLR out, etc....

I can safely stae from experince everything works fine, (And it's quite)

Only reason I love this amp soooo much, I've owned one for years no problems, sounds awesome, loud as hell if nessesary, my living room practice amp...

and it's $99 soaking wet. ($200 less that Trademark...)

No brainer. check em out...

• Members

Originally posted by LP50

Thanks guys. I'm going to go to GC and see if I can't get my hands on a new one. The shop I was at just had a used one (the one I tried) so that could have had something to do with it too. I asked if they could order a new one, but they said they couldn't.

BTW, Japetus, it was J. Gravity down in Soulard with the used one. If you've never been there, it's a -great- shop to deal with.

Right on! Yeah, that's my #1 shop. I bought a Mesa Studio from there a few months back.

What kind of music do you play?

• Members

I have a TM10 and it never hums knock on wood. The only time I had hum on it was when I had my Digitech GNX3 running through the effects loop at the same time connected to my computer through MIDI.

I later foudn out that the GNX3 was picking up the hum from the power supply of my computer and transmitting it through the amp.

• Members

Well, can't find a local shop (yet) that has any new ones in stock, so the search continues. In other news, I tried out a Crate PowerBlock and may even go for that, but I dunno - it doesn't really meet all the req's that I have for a not too loud practice amp. The goal here was fairly inexpensive, and I'd hate to have to hotplate a cheap head to get it down to apartment levels... that's "anti inexpensive" and that's not good.

Japetus: I'm basically just a self taught (after the first year) bedroom hack, but I try to have fun with it - never gigged or anything except for playing a couple songs at talent shows way back in high school (I'm from St. Louis, but I didn't go to high school here to answer the famous question!)

I mostly play fingerstyle type stuff, kinda along the lines of Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and Stairway , but what made me really want to play guitar was Eric Clapton w/ John Mayall's Bluesbreakers and that tone he got at that time. Love it, can't play it (yet). :)

• Members

Originally posted by ConcreteVampire

All respect to the other posters but don't do it!

Seriously check out the Behringer GM110. It's a dead copy of the Trademark 10, with thirty more watts, and a 10 inch Jensen.

SAME inputs outputs, ground lift, XLR out, etc....

Thanks, I'll definitely take a look at it. I just looked it up on Behringer's site - holy cow. That thing has the same layout &c... how do they get away with that?

I'll check it out though - if I like how it sounds, I may end up with one.

Archived