Good boosts for my amp

krazeexharhar

• Members

Thought I'd post those in the amp forum since the effects forum is being a little slow.

I've been going through a lot of pedals to try to find an ideal setup for myself, and I'm at my wit's end.

I'm running a Gibson SG into a Mesa F-100. I'm looking for good boosts so that I could set it up for two different situations: a hardcore/metalcore band, and church music.

I've settled on a Keeley TS-9 Plus Mod for leads...I like the mid hump and it cuts through pretty good, but I still haven't decided on a good chugga chugga type rhythm pedal. I've been looking at the OCD. I want to keep my amp itself at lowish medium gain so that if I take off all my boosts I have a very nice mellow kind of tone that I can pick without muddying up the sound.

At the same time, these pedals have to be able to be good for a clean channel, so that I can have a similar three channel type setup (clean -> slight overdrive -> overdrive). Naturally, it'd have to be a warmer kind of tone.

What do you guys think?

• Members

How is hte maxon different from my keeley ts-9? Shouldnt they technically be the same?

What makes the ts-9 unsuitable for rhythm (in my opinion) is the mid hump that it has. It doesn't have that clear crips chunky rhythm quality that I'm looking for.

I think Killswitch Engage boosts their amps with the Maxon, right?

• Members

Originally posted by -=MYK=-

Have you thoughtabout using an EQ in the loop to set it up for a more aggressuive rythm sound?

I have done it...but what I realized I need is actually a third channel of distortion. I want to have a setup where I have six channels total: a clean channel + slightly dirty + dirty (so two overdrives in front of the clean), and then a miildly dirty channel (stock drive channel) + dirty + lead.

I'm most concerned about the effect that the overdrives will have on my drive channel and how it will color the tone. I want a kind of a darker color but at the same time crisp.

Archived