Adding a power amp in on a Marshall JMP...

rocknrollrebel

• Members

Is adding a "power amp in" on an old Marshall 2204 a simple matter of adding an input jack and connecting a wire from it to the phase inverter?

I don't know much about amps, but I have some experience with electronics and I've done some minor repairs on a Marshall TSL in the past. So if it's not too difficult I might try to do it myself instead of letting a tech do it.

• Members

Is adding a "power amp in" on an old Marshall 2204 a simple matter of adding an input jack and connecting a wire from it to the phase inverter?

Basically it is, you need a mono shorting jack though and I would also use a good quality shielded wire as well.

Hope it helps

Trace

• Members

Originally posted by Voodoo Amps

Basically it is, you need a mono shorting jack though and I would also use a good quality shielded wire as well.

Hope it helps

Trace

Thank you Trace for the answer! I was planning on using one of the speaker jacks as input, don't know if those are shorted though? I've got some shielded wire left over from doing the wiring on a guitar so I guess that might do the trick since it's only line level signal.

Thanks again for your help!

• Members

Originally posted by wor lez

If you were wanting to do that I reckon youd be better off getting a whole effects loop installed. The fx return will serve as a power amp input and having the loop will add some flexibility to the amp.

I'm going to use the JMP as a power amp for wet side in a dry/wet rig, with my Soldano as main amp. So for now I don't need a loop. Adding a loop requires a lot more work if I'm not mistaken, you'll have to add buffers and stuff.

But you're right a loop adds flexibility so I might add one down the road, but for now a "power amp in" will do. :)

Archived