I know most people hate the JCM900 But can they be modded ?

Octaver

• Members

Originally posted by PhilBelanger

I had a 900 4500 Dual Reverb. I liked it but eventally got rid of it. I should have gotten a SLX instead, those amps sound *real* good.

Most SLXs also came with the 6L6s

More headroom, tighter "metal" sound.

Originally posted by Voodoo Amps

We mod the SLX and the 4100 Series. We will list them as soon as our next website update comes out (in approximately 1-2 weeks)

What kind of mods would you be doing?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Greazygeo

I never liked the Jubilee, 900 or even 800 series....too bright sounding and not enough bottom...now an old superlead or plexi with a bunch of mods, that is a different story....

george

I like them all. The plexis are nice, but have little gain.

• Members

We have Standard and Deluxe Mods for both models. We cover and address what we always do and we can add a Bottom control, Global, etc. depending on what you are looking for over all. Give the shop a call if you like and I would be happy to talk with you about it. It's Sat and we're open until 5PM EST (2:02PM now).

Have a great weekend!

Trace

• Members

Originally posted by Voodoo Amps

We have Standard and Deluxe Mods for both models. We cover and address what we always do and we can add a Bottom control, Global, etc. depending on what you are looking for over all. Give the shop a call if you like and I would be happy to talk with you about it. It's Sat and we're open until 5PM EST (2:02PM now).

Have a great weekend!

Trace

What you always do? Like? I am not trying to be a smart-ass here really. But you seem like you are being vague for the purpose of being vague.

I am seriously interested in what ways you think you can make the amp better than it is.

• Members

Originally posted by Octaver

Hi

I just bought a 4100 50 watt Dual reverb head

I need a throw around amp that I can take to dodgy gigs

so i can preserve my Super Lead

Im going to look into darker pre amp valves like JJ's

I have tried a Boss EQ in the FX Loop its OK but not great

But Im wondering if there are any mods to improve on the Dirty channel mabey adding more Mids & Bass & removing the treble

I set the amp for a thick tone as posible

Bass 7

Mids 9

treble 0

Any suggestions ?

A 4100 is the one hundred watt version not the 50. Hence 4(100) as opposed to the 4(500) which is the one you must of bought.

• Members

What you always do? Like? I am not trying to be a smart-ass here really. But you seem like you are being vague for the purpose of being vague. I am seriously interested in what ways you think you can make the amp better than it is.

Not trying to be vague and I apologize if it seemed like I was.

* We remove the fuzzy/buzzy characteristics in favor or of gain that is more articulate/defined/clear

* We tighten up the bottom end so it's rock solid and never loose/tubby/woofy

* We balance out all the frequencies so the amp is more even sounding over all

* You can get more of a cranked tone at lower volumes as well as sustain

The amp will be able to cut through the mix a lot better both live as well as in the studio

* Improve the harmonic structure so harmonics leap off from the fretboard with ease

* The EQ section will be more flexible over all

* All features will still function the same

* Add-On Controls: We can add the Bottom ($49.95) or Push/Pull Bottom ($64.95) and the Global ($49.95)

* We can dial in the amp to your personal tastes if you so prefer

* We also offer a custom designed Mercury Magnetics output transformer for the SLX and 4100 Series.

* Lead Time: 2-4 business days!!

Hope it helps

Trace

• Members

Hi

I just bought a 4100 50 watt Dual reverb head

I need a throw around amp that I can take to dodgy gigs

so i can preserve my Super Lead

Im going to look into darker pre amp valves like JJ's

I have tried a Boss EQ in the FX Loop its OK but not great

But Im wondering if there are any mods to improve on the Dirty channel mabey adding more Mids & Bass & removing the treble

I set the amp for a thick tone as posible

Bass 7

Mids 9

treble 0

Any suggestions ?

A 4100 is the one hundred watt version not the 50. Hence 4(100) as opposed to the 4(500) which is the one you must of bought.

• Members

For what it's worth, I had a JCM 900 4500 dual reverb with the EL-34's and it was one of the best rock amps I've ever palyed. With a EQ in the loop in rivals my Framus Cobra and I'm not blowing smoke. I would love to find another one with the 34's in it. The 5881 versions sound so different and not nearly as good to me. JCM hate is usually from the people who have played the 5881 versions because they are more prevalent. The 34 versions were only made in the begining of the run. Love that amp, anyone want to sell me one?

• Members

I was told everyone in HC believed the 900 sucked.

I guess they were wrong.

My ears have never failed me yet. :)

I've never really messed with the 100w ones.

I am sure it's just a louder version of that good sound.

I had mine blasted to 10 this afternoon.

Sweet sounding saturation.

• Members

Ok my mistake it is the 50 watter , the *4500*
Since I dont live in the USA it would be too expencive to ship it to Voodoo etc....

Does anyone have anyone have any mods I can try

Im thinking of trying this one
http://web.aoct.org/marshall/jcm900-gain-mod.txt
any comments ?

There is a mixture of valves in it. Im assuming some were there since day one

I will re-valve it this week . Its a EL34 version not 6l6
My speaker are G12H30's so Im Happy with them.

• Members

Ok my mistake it is the 50 watter , the *4500*

Since I dont live in the USA it would be too expencive to ship it to Voodoo etc....

Does anyone have anyone have any mods I can try

Im thinking of trying this one

any comments ?

My comment is, retube the amp. Play through it. If you like the way it sounds, leave it alone.

If any of the mods in that page will fix something you don't like about it, do it.

• Members

Yeah fair call.

But I would like to know if anyone

Has treid it & was there much improvment ?

Just curious I guess

:confused:

Best thing I ever did was put an EQ in the Loop of mine and turned the amp up. You know how alot of people tell you that an amp gets better with volume? Well not all of them, I never got a Rectifier to sound better that way along with some other modern high gainers but the 4500 was like magic at volume, I could pull off {censored} that would never happen at a lower volume and I took for granted that all Tube amps were like this and sold it. Seriouly just through a EQ in the loop and you can dial in the tone you need, along as you like the Marshall sound in the first place you willbe all set. If not sell it to me I'll pay a fair price if it's in good condition.

• Members

I tried a Boss GE-7 in the FX loop & it sounded a little tacky for want of a better word.
It tended to clean up the Dirty tone a bit , but thats at home volumes.
I have a Rocktron Replefex that I will try in the FX loop with its noise gate multi FX & EQ.... It might sound good.

The other Bonus to the Replifex is it has a channel switching option on it meaning it can channel switch the amp

I just took the amp to a tech he said he might go for all JJ Tesla vavles or mabey Winged C's in the power stage .

As for the 900 haters , well so be it .
They arn't using my amp so it shouldnt really matter.
Im just trying to improve the amp not debate tonal preferances
you know.

• Members
Originally posted by Greazygeo

You have not heard mine
:)

Out of the 20+ Marshall's I've owned, I only kept two....and they are modded (no EL34's either).

Like I always say...the only good Marshall is a modded one....
:)

Ah a modded one. :) That is different.

I would mod my 900, but I like the sound now, and would {censored} if it made it sound bad.

Archived