Kinda OT: This years ozzfest awards go to...

IbanezShred

• Members

Went to this years ozzfest about 3 days ago and heres what I thought.

BEST ALL AROUND:

1. Black Sabbath - amazing...holy {censored}...just amazing.

2. Rob Zombie- What a surprise!! He is an amazing performer!!!

3. Velvet Revolver- Scott weiland was the best vocalist of the day and slash NAILED ever solo. good stuff.

BEST TONE:

1.Tony Iommi- needs no explanation

2.Killswitch Engage- awesome, thick and meaty, not shrill at all.

3.Slash- kick ass solo tone, didnt over due the wah either.

also: the haunted and mastadon had great tone.

WORST BANDS:

1.Wicked Wisdom- worse performance than their name.

2.The black dahlia murder- {censored}ty

3.A dozen furies- Played 20 min longer the In Flames..and they suck

Biggest Let down-

1. Shadows Fall- Boring

2. Black label society- Quit {censored}ing soloing for christ's sake!! And Im a guitar player!!

3.Mudvayne- One of my fav. alt-metal bands...but they played {censored}ty.

Bands that should have got more respect:

1. In Flames- only got 20 min...total bull{censored}

2. The haunted- These guys were AWESOME, i also got to hang out with them, real nice guys.

3.Trivium- great show, {censored}ty tone though.

all in all I had a great time...just my 2 cents on the show in West palm.

• Members

Here's my list...

BEST ALL AROUND:
1. Iron Maiden
2. Mastodon
3. Soilwork

BEST TONE:
1. Mudvayne
2. Mastodon
3. Killswitch Engage

WORST BANDS:
1. Black Label Society
2. Wicked Wisdom
3. Shadows Fall

Biggest Let down-
1. Arch Enemy :(
2. Shadows Fall
3. The Haunted (worst tone ever)

1. Mastodon
2. Mastodon
3. Mastodon

• Members

mudvayne by far had the best tone, hands down, no one touched them.

looking at megadeths list I pretty much agree.
though I was special and got to see slipknot at the show, and they reall worked the crowd up, thats when the bonfires really started going.

in flames really needed a longer set, but that said I hated seeing mudvayne and inflames on a huge stage, you can just tell they really like the energy they get from crowd and feed off of it. sadly you cant do that when the "pit" is all seats, and the people who want to get crazy have to stay 100 yards away.

more respect to
trivium, mastadon, and as i lay dying

rob zombie also had a great set.

maiden was great, but sadly my show was when all that drama went down, so part of it was spoiled by that dirty stinky twat.

• Members

originally posted by nvcreations

mudvayne by far had the best tone, hands down, no one touched them.

Im am the biggest fan of gregg's tone! I love VHT tone, his clean is also awesome on the new disc...However at my particular show it sucked. i have seen them b4 at HOB and it was incredible, but at ozzfest their performance and their tone was lacking, Might not have been their fault though because the sound guy really had the levels {censored}ed up, especially the vocal levels.

• Members

Originally posted by IbanezShred

Im am the biggest fan of gregg's tone! I love VHT tone, his clean is also awesome on the new disc...However at my particular show it sucked. i have seen them b4 at HOB and it was incredible, but at ozzfest their performance and their tone was lacking, Might not have been their fault though because the sound guy really had the levels {censored}ed up, especially the vocal levels.

ah I see

yeah ive seen them about 5 times at small venues, and 2 times at big ones (pledge of allegiance tour, and ozzfest). the first time I saw them at POA tour, his tone was unreal, that was the first itme i ever heard them and fell in love right then and there during Severed (now they NEVER play that song). ozzfest wasnt as good but it was better to me then any one else at the show.

ive seen his rig evolve from the recto + jc-120 ---> recto+VHT+jc-120 ---> VHT+jc-120 ---> to what seems like VHT + Randall RM100m and thats it? no longer seeing the jc-120. IMHO his best tone was the VHT+jc-120, picture perfect.

• Members

west palm beach concert

BEST ALL AROUND:

1. Black Sabbath - agree with you 100 %
2. Rob Zombie- john 5 WOW, first time i see them.
3. BLS: even though Zakk soloed forever, he was the most talented guitarist at the venue.. no doubt about it

BEST TONE:
2.Zakk: his marshalls rock
3.Killswitch Engage- new to me, but great tone

WORST BANDS:
1.The black dahlia murder- {censored}ty
2.Wicked Wisdom-

i think Velvet revolver sucked,. i have been a GNR fan for years and VR sounds great on record but.......at this specific concert they sucked. slash's guitar was unbalanced, his rhythms were low and solos too loud. the soundman killed his sound. After listening to Zakk and Iommi, slash's guitar was way behind.

• 1 year later...
  • Members
Originally posted by IbanezShred

Went to this years ozzfest about 3 days ago and heres what I thought.

BEST ALL AROUND:

1. Black Sabbath - amazing...holy {censored}...just amazing.

2. Rob Zombie- What a surprise!! He is an amazing performer!!!

3. Velvet Revolver- Scott weiland was the best vocalist of the day and slash NAILED ever solo. good stuff.

BEST TONE:

2.Killswitch Engage- awesome, thick and meaty, not shrill at all.

3.Slash- kick ass solo tone, didnt over due the wah either.

also: the haunted and mastadon had great tone.

WORST BANDS:

1.Wicked Wisdom- worse performance than their name.

2.The black dahlia murder- {censored}ty

3.A dozen furies- Played 20 min longer the In Flames..and they suck

Biggest Let down-

1. Shadows Fall- Boring

2. Black label society- Quit {censored}ing soloing for christ's sake!! And Im a guitar player!!

3.Mudvayne- One of my fav. alt-metal bands...but they played {censored}ty.

1. In Flames- only got 20 min...total bull{censored}

2. The haunted- These guys were AWESOME, i also got to hang out with them, real nice guys.

3.Trivium- great show, {censored}ty tone though.

all in all I had a great time...just my 2 cents on the show in West palm.

Oh :o

• Members
Originally posted by nvcreations

ah I see

yeah ive seen them about 5 times at small venues, and 2 times at big ones (pledge of allegiance tour, and ozzfest). the first time I saw them at POA tour, his tone was unreal, that was the first itme i ever heard them and fell in love right then and there during Severed (now they NEVER play that song). ozzfest wasnt as good but it was better to me then any one else at the show.

ive seen his rig evolve from the recto + jc-120 ---> recto+VHT+jc-120 ---> VHT+jc-120 ---> to what seems like VHT + Randall RM100m and thats it? no longer seeing the jc-120. IMHO his best tone was the VHT+jc-120, picture perfect.

Gregs a cool mofo. I was his tech from 02-03. (Also POA and tatoo the earth) . The rig was -rectos/jc120 - VHT /jc120 - - - VHT/Fender 2x12 combo for clean(cant remember the model) -
- VHT/Pod(clean) - VHT/Digitech "pod" dont remember the model, but it was blue... ;) - Then the last time i saw him he had 2 Randall modular heads, not sure what he had for cleans this time.
He did say he was thinking of using the Ultra leads again . :D

Pedals were Line 6 DL4 and a Morley wah

Archived