To those with "muddled" tone woes... (Mark III + Les Paul content)

euclid

• Members

When I bought my Mesa Mark III I had an extremely difficult time pulling a lead tone I really liked out of it. So, I did what most other people do and complain about the "tweak" factor of the amp and asked for suggested settings. Even with settings that everyone else seemed to really dig, my tone was still lacking...

Well, I believe I was missing the boat entirely on something so simple to fix I'm half embarassed to admit it. I changed my guitar's strings.

Before buying the Mesa, I'd been using a Laney GH50L which is quite bright. Having switched GHS' Zakk Wylde signature strings on a whim to try and boost the lower frequencies of the Laney, I was making it extremely difficult to dial out the low end flub on the Mark III. Well, I recently returned to .010 gauge Brite Wires and my muddled Mesa problems are completely resolved.

Keep this in mind when trying to dial in an amp! Looks like now I'll need to buy another LP and keep the heavy gauge strings on it to play with the Laney ;)

• Members

Originally posted by megaboogie

How do you like MkIII? how does it compare to Laney?

I have the GH50L too, which I love, but I have been wanting to hear different sounding amp.

The Mark III gets better and better each time I play it. I've had it since January and love it still. It really does take some time getting used to and learning how to manipulate the controls to get great tones. If you are thinking about buying one, I'd say go for it. My Laney has now become the amp I use in conjunction with the Boss Gt-8 and the Mesa I run straight-through, no effects or anything - it sounds that good.

• Members

Originally posted by euclid

The Mark III gets better and better each time I play it. I've had it since January and love it still. It really does take some time getting used to and learning how to manipulate the controls to get great tones. If you are thinking about buying one, I'd say go for it. My Laney has now become the amp I use in conjunction with the Boss Gt-8 and the Mesa I run straight-through, no effects or anything - it sounds that good.

This is a good description of how I view the Mark IV and it is worth it. You've got to have patience which I don't have as often as I'd like to. It is a great amp.

Archived