good non-tone-generating vocoder?

rj.phila

• Members

does anyone have a suggestion for a vocoder that is "processor only", or non-generator type? one where i can use an input source+mic input, that's all. i dont need any features, or even built-in sounds at all. thanks for any suggestions.

• Members

Vocal effects get old fast, so having a wide range of features allows you to change them up to keep things interesting. The Voice Box looks like it has a well selected set of effects for live tweaking.

The TC Helicon VoiceWorks and VoiceLive are significantly more powerful, but more expensive too. In addition to vocoding, they do pitch correction (eg T-Pain/Cher effect), multi-part harmony, voice modeling, and all kinds of simultaneous effects (transducer/delay/reverb). I have the VoiceWorksPlus. These are vocal synths, and they even have software editors to design the patches.

• Members

I really need to mess around with the "vocoder" presets on the Eclipse to see what that's all about. Anyone have any experience with the Eventide vocoder effect? Also, I noticed in the MIDI section of the manual, there's a lot of talk about "using a MIDI keyboard to play notes and synthesizer programs on the Eclipse" and such. I can't seem to find any correlating or relevant documentation on the specifics.

Can this thing act kind of like a Roland VP-550 or something? If so, I need to get on that {censored}! I haven't spent too much time experimenting with it in the year I've had it. The Virus and Reaktor have had most of my attention.

• Members

i've had an Electrix WarpFactory for a few years and it's tops. it's pretty much just what you're asking for. it does have an inbuilt oscillator, but it's rubbish since you can't control pitch (even over MIDI), so it's basically a standalone processor. it accepts input over TRS and XLR (XLR on the front panel, no less), and also has TRS and RCAs for both source input and effect output, which makes it useful for DJs. there's a knob for every function and absolutely no menu, and it lacks any sort of patch storage, so it's a little "old school" in that sense, but i've never found it to be a bother. there are so few settings that dialing in something useful is never more than a couple seconds away. it is digital, but i never find it to be harsh or brittle, and it's leagues better than any VA. it's also the most intelligible vocoder i've ever used.

Archived