Apartment tube amp playing...

1_Way

• Members

Well, thanks for bringing up Maven Peal!

When Leo Fender designed his first amp over 50 years ago, he hadn't studied power supplies, so he borrowed one from the "Radiotron Designer's Handbook," a book put out by tube manufacturer RCA to help engineers design products that used their tubes.

That design worked great for a variety of reasons. But new components, modern safety regulations and new preamp designs all brought changes to the amp's design, yet the power supply has basically remained the same. I have not seen an amplifier made today that, at the heart, doesn't use the same basic power supply used by Mr. Fender over 50 years ago... if there is one, I'd be interested in learning more about it. The Sag Circuit is patented, and can be looked up at http://www.uspto.gov by searching for patent numbers 5,909,145 and 5,635,872.

For info on the advantages of the Sag Circuit over all other attempts at volume control, you can visit http://www.mavenpeal.com/sag.html

The lowest wattage we offer is 1/2 watt, and quite honestly, I don't think any amp sounds good below 3 watts. The speakers are not moving and there is the Fletcher Munson effect. The Ganesha does offer a master volume control via the DualQuadFX, but that is a master volume and subject to all the issues master volumes are subject to. Generally, I don't go below 1/2 watt (after all, we are talking about instruments that are supposed to *amplify* sound!).

Which is still pretty loud, about as loud as a loud T.V.

Thanks for asking.
Dave

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

David,

Neet stuff. :) However, you only offer the sag and wattage controls on production amps, and the only two amps with the sag and wattage controls only lets you go down to 1 watt... So where is it that you curently offer a half watt sag power control? :confused:

• Members
Originally posted by 1_Way

David,

Neet stuff.
:)
However, you only offer the sag and wattage controls on production amps, and the only two amps with the sag and wattage controls only lets you go down to 1 watt... So where is it that you curently offer a half watt sag power control?
:confused:

The Ganesha, the new Double Zeeta and RG88 all go down to a half watt when using two power tubes instead of four... thanks for bringing this up, we don't have that info on the site, either!

Dave

Archived