Let's talk speakers. (Hiwatt/Weber content)

Charmless

• Members

So I'm changin' my rig up a bit. Instead of a hiwatt into an orange 4x12 cab, I'm gonna be using a hiwatt 1x12 combo w/ a 2x12 fender tonemaster cab. The hiwatt combo needs a speaker, and I have a few cool webers I could put in the tonemaster. Here are the three options I'm exploring:

Hiwatt: Weber ceramic Thames

Tonemaster: stock Celestion V30's

Tonemaster: Weber 30 watt Ceramic Blue Dog + Weber 30 watt Silver Bell

Tonemaster: Weber 30 watt Ceramic Blue Dog + 1 stock Celestion V30

Also, because it wouldn't be a HC forum thread without a piggyback question: Tonally, how much to ceramic vs alnico speakers differ?

Thnx!

• Members

Weber makes excellent speakers, but I have a recommendation. For the Hiwatt 1x12, stick in an Eminence Delta Pro. You won't get much speaker distortion (which some people like) but you will get the absolute most tone your amp can put out. - no upper midrange peak like Celestions, but a beautiful, full tone with a nice bottom end. I replaced a tired old EV speaker in my Hiwatt combo with a Delta Pro, and jammed with some new musicians a couple weeks back. I left all my other amps and cabinets at home. They were completely blown away. They're probably still talking about my Hiwatt tone (I'm not kidding).

I would consider an extension cabinet an enhancement of the 1x12 Delta Pro tone. I have a 4x12 with Celestion G12-65s and it's good enough. The Vintage 30's should do quite well.

Vintage amp purists hate my suggestion - they always want low-wattage alnico speakers - but they've never heard what I have. Trust me, you will not be disappointed (unless you want your speaker to sound like it's being tortured). Eminence Delta Pro - I'm addicted.

• Members

Originally posted by Charmless

Tonemaster: stock Celestion V30's

IMO, the V30's need some help. b/c you have other good options, i say don't go with this option.

Tonemaster: Weber 30 watt Ceramic Blue Dog + Weber 30 watt Silver Bell

this would be my first option. these three webers make for a great combo. (you're on the right track with keeping the "thames" (fane-ish tone) in your combo)

the BD and SB together are tits!

Tonemaster: Weber 30 watt Ceramic Blue Dog + 1 stock Celestion V30

this may work too. you'll have to see if the BD or the SB are a better match with the V30. i'd only try this out of curiosity only.

Also, because it wouldn't be a HC forum thread without a piggyback question: Tonally, how much to ceramic vs alnico speakers differ? Thnx!

alnico spkrs act (and feel) a lot like tubes do. when pushed, they tend to compress a bit. the notes have a sort of "blooming" effect when played at volume.

conversely, ceramic mag spkrs have a tighter bottom-end. the mags don't compress the as much...thus some say that they have a 'colder' or 'harsher' feel/tone. more like a SS amp tends to act.

now these are comparisons with the same spkr...take two weber blue dogs for instance--each with the same wattage rating--one with an alnico and one with a ceramic mag. they both will (for the most part) sound the same. however, as you turn your amp up and/or dig into the strings, you'll hear and feel the differrence in the way each spkr starts to break up. alnico will break-up more smoothly and compress the notes with a 'bloom' effect as the note rings out, while the ceramic will break-up more suddenly and have a more accurate note.

i hope all that makes sense and helps some.

:cool:

Archived