My uber arrived today

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

and it has a shattered preamp tube rolling around inside... what does this mean for me? is this my responsibility to cover? or should I see if the previous owner will take care of it? what a tease, I wanted to play this thing so bad today... I don't have any other amps to pull a tube out of...

if it is my responsibilty, what do you guys suggest? I have never had to buy preamp tubes, I've had to get power amps tubes sure... but yeah, I'm a bit lost for preamp tubes

• Members

quick update before I go to work... I found a screwdriver and got a tube out of my bandmaster and popped it in there... now its the only tube that lights up and the clean channel works ok (very very dark sounding, but still fat and wet, I like it) but the gain channel is all hum... all the other tubes are completely blank, although I'm pretty sure that they are 12ax7s and not the lower gain variations... the tube that was in there that broke was the only one that had writing on it, and I can't read it... what tubes do you guys know of that have no writing on them whatsoever??

I'm so stoked... I hope I get this thing up and running soon

• Members

{censored}ed up, he left the tubes in the amp during shipping? not the smartest thing to do...

this definately doesnt sound good to me. Id get some new tubes and not turn it on before new ones are in. Very strange that the tubes do not light up... is that the case with all of them (power tubes too i mean)?

• Members

oh, and he just E-mailed me saying he's gonna send me some new tubes and he'll take it up with fedex himself

but do I need to buy/ask for just one? or do I need to replace all 5? I know that a tube lighting up is not scientific proof of it working, but yeah, only the clean channel works

• Members

Every amp I've purchased via the internet has been shipped with the tubes still loaded in, ranging from stores to private sellers. As long as you can prevent anything from hitting the tubes (power cables, for example) and you properly pack it up, you should be fine. But then again if a tube shattered while I shipped the amp I would cover it.

If you can afford it I'd have someone take a look at the amp just to be safe. One randomly busted tube rolling around the amp isn't a good thing.

• Members

Originally posted by Inearthed

Every amp I've purchased via the internet has been shipped with the tubes still loaded in, ranging from stores to private sellers.

+1 --- me too. In fact, I always ship with tubes loaded, and have never had a problem.

• Members

I have not been able to crank this amp, but from what I can tell, a total of 3 tubes are goners, in that the amp will not even function when they are installed, the clean channel worked as soon as I replaced the broken one, but as I said, the gain channel was just a steady hum without the first 3 switched out... even then the remaining tubes were either barely lit, or lighting up wildly

I'm guilty of shipping an amp with the tubes in it myself... I figure if the amp has a back plate on it and its boxed well, anything that'd break the tubes would be a hefty drop during shipping (which bothers me in the current situation as you might imagine) but if I were to own an amp with the back even slightly exposed, I wouldn't ever ship with the tubes in it...

• Members

here is the layout if it helps anybody out...

v1 was shattered, replacing this got the clean channel running

v2 changing this didn't change anything, but it lit more consistently/normally

v3 changing this one got the dirty channel up and running but its a bit buzzy (which honestly probably has more to do with the fact that this amp was at the lowest possible volume for sound to be heard... literally the smallest movement on the knob would take it to silence)

v4 is always the brightest... noticably so...

any amp techs know of anything to look for? or should I just retube everything?

• Members

Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

here is the layout if it helps anybody out...

v1 was shattered, replacing this got the clean channel running

v2 changing this didn't change anything, but it lit more consistently/normally

v3 changing this one got the dirty channel up and running but its a bit buzzy (which honestly probably has more to do with the fact that this amp was at the lowest possible volume for sound to be heard... literally the smallest movement on the knob would take it to silence)

v4 is always the brightest... noticably so...

any amp techs know of anything to look for? or should I just retube everything?

Just replace all the preamp tubes and be done with it. I doubt it's anymore than that.

Also, a tip on that clean channel:

Crank the volume 3:00 and get the gain to 12:30 or so depending on how much output your pickups have. You may be suprised.....

Also get the middle control on the clean channel to at least 12:00....

Archived