Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Sound Clips Here...

SFW

• Members

Originally posted by Octaver

Hey SFW,

Just listening to your clips again. been playing my Boogie all weekend I noticed my amp sounds very different to yours

Yeah even with different speaker experiments.

My R2 & Lead sound kind of Twangy for want of better description

The notes are a little splatty too.

My JB's sound kinda single coil like.

Especially on the high 3 strings

they sound kinda twangy on Double stops etc.

Not focused & compressed with a little Grit like you clips..which I like !

Just wondering what Valves your using in the

Pre amp & Power amp stages.

Pres are stock mesa's and the powers are two mesa 6L6s and two EH EL34s.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This guy runs his rather warm sounding. If you crank the far right slider up on the EQ it gets real bright and gainy so you have to offset that with a healthy bit of bass(slide the left slider up pretty high and have the next slider just over the center line). The amp can sound a lot of different ways. It IS genuinly a versitile amplifier!!!

• Members

you can get some wicked slayer south of heaven tones out of the lead channel without the graphic EQ also. Pretty cool metallica kill em all tones too actually.

try these:

triode
class-A
tweed mode
SED-EL-34's
mid gain switch in
bass: 2
Mids: 10
treble: 7
pressence: 1 and pulled
gain: 10 and pulled
drive: 10 and pulled

And I also do this funky thing of ouput on 10 and lead channel volume on 1, but this only works if you guitar isnt very noisy, and my gibson explorer reissue works geat like this, unless of course I have the pickups really close to the strings or something.

• Members

LOL Shiny_Surface that clip cracked me up.

Your clip pretty much sounds like my MKIV & Im guessing thats the Typical MKIV tone.

I think most guys are suprised (Impressed) with the tones
our friend from Texas SFW is getting....... a more punchy & Focused tone.

Im not a Thrash at all fan but I do Like tighter Crisper tones where the tones Pop out rather than bounce or splat out .

• Members
Originally posted by yngzaklynch

This guy runs his rather warm sounding. If you crank the far right slider up on the EQ it gets real bright and gainy so you have to offset that with a healthy bit of bass(slide the left slider up pretty high and have the next slider just over the center line). The amp can sound a lot of different ways. It IS genuinly a versitile amplifier!!!

Hey thanks for that, it seems obvious but never thought of going to extremes with the EQ . Little alterations make a great difference on this amp !
It sounds closer to the Focused tones im looking for

I'll never knock back more usable gain :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by wanky

impressive tone, someone told me the mark is really simalar the the 5150, but i guess the it sounds much heavier and much less bright and fizzy, but the 5150 is still hi-gain heaven to my ears

Actaully a 5150 is pretty much the polar opposite of a Mark IV.

The Peavey is simply raw brutal power. It does what it does and it does it well, but it's pretty much a one trick pony.

The Mark IV on the other hand can get those types of tones as well as anything else you can imagine. It can go from a ruthless high gain to a shimmering clean and everything in between with a stomp on the footswitch.

Both cool amps, but I love my Mark IV!

Archived