John Mayall, Robben Ford, Buddy Whittington concert report!

acousticvoodoo

• Members

Great show last night in SD.

Robben was using a fairly basic setup... a wine red Les Paul, (not his signature model guitar?), a boost pedal of some kind, and a silverface Fender 2x12, (no Dumble)... not sure what model, I was too far away.

His tone was fabulous for that blues genre... rich, warm, clear... no brittle treble on the bridge pickup, great warmer tones on the neck pickup.

Of course his playing was tasty and smoothly done. He exudes class and style.

Buddy Whittington played both a sunburst strat and what appeared to be a red G&L ASAT (tele like), guitar. The strat was featured when he and the Bluesbreakers backed up Robben, and the G&L when he played with John Mayall.

Buddy's got some serious chops, and was VERY on last night. The highlight was a 12 minute version of Hideaway that kicked butt on every level. Buddy starred on this of course, and it really showed off his tone, and playing ability.

He used a red Dr Z amp all night. It sounded GREAT for what he was using it for. I didn't notice any pedal at all, he was controlling the tone and volume with his guitar volume control.

John Mayall is now over 70 years old. The guy had the energy and enthusiasm of a 20 year old. His voice shows his age a bit, but he really put his heart into his music, particularly on the harmonica solos. I hope I have the energy and passion to wail like that when I'm in my 70's.

I've seen some of my blues favorites fade a bit as they age... Johnny Winter in particular seems to be fading fast... but John Mayall is still doing it with vigor!

I assume they're touring all around the US, so if you get a chance to see them in your town... and if you like great blues... go check it out!

Highly recommended.

michael

• Members

That sounds like a great show. I have only recently gotten into Robben Ford. He is just incredible. I have his new live DVD and he has tone for days. As you said, he exudes class.

I'm going to look for tour dates in my area.

Thanks for the review.:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by acousticvoodoo

Great show last night in SD.

Robben was using a fairly basic setup... a wine red Les Paul, (not his signature model guitar?), a boost pedal of some kind, and a silverface Fender 2x12, (no Dumble)... not sure what model, I was too far away.

His tone was fabulous for that blues genre... rich, warm, clear... no brittle treble on the bridge pickup, great warmer tones on the neck pickup.

Of course his playing was tasty and smoothly done. He exudes class and style.

Buddy Whittington played both a sunburst strat and what appeared to be a red G&L ASAT (tele like), guitar. The strat was featured when he and the Bluesbreakers backed up Robben, and the G&L when he played with John Mayall.

Buddy's got some serious chops, and was VERY on last night. The highlight was a 12 minute version of Hideaway that kicked butt on every level. Buddy starred on this of course, and it really showed off his tone, and playing ability.

He used a red Dr Z amp all night. It sounded GREAT for what he was using it for. I didn't notice any pedal at all, he was controlling the tone and volume with his guitar volume control.

John Mayall is now over 70 years old. The guy had the energy and enthusiasm of a 20 year old. His voice shows his age a bit, but he really put his heart into his music, particularly on the harmonica solos. I hope I have the energy and passion to wail like that when I'm in my 70's.

I've seen some of my blues favorites fade a bit as they age... Johnny Winter in particular seems to be fading fast... but John Mayall is still doing it with vigor!

I assume they're touring all around the US, so if you get a chance to see them in your town... and if you like great blues... go check it out!

Highly recommended.

michael

Agreed.I was at the San Diego Humphrey's By The Bay show,as well.The "ASAT Tele" that Buddy was playing is actually a new guitar made for him by San Marcos,CA guitar builder Scott Lenz.I talked to Buddy after the show and he said that the fat back pickup tone on the Lenz "Tele" was spoiling him and causing him to somewhat neglect his Lenz "Strat".His main stage amp continues to be his trusty DRZ Maz 38 head.He was using a Celestion G12H-100 loaded cabinet,as well.I thought that his tone was quite similar to the Reverend Billy G at times.Also loved his take on Jimmy Page for his extended solo break.Yeah,great show.

Ed

• Members

I saw the Blues Breakers a couple years ago, and was highly impressed with Buddy Whitington. I recently saw Coco Montoya, and a while before that-Walter Trout. John Mayhall is in great shape for his age, and I got to briefly talk to him at the show.

• Members

Originally posted by EdMan57

Agreed.I was at the San Diego Humphrey's By The Bay show,as well.The "ASAT Tele" that Buddy was playing is actually a new guitar made for him by San Marcos,CA guitar builder Scott Lenz.I talked to Buddy after the show and he said that the fat back pickup tone on the Lenz "Tele" was spoiling him and causing him to somewhat neglect his Lenz "Strat".His main stage amp continues to be his trusty DRZ Maz 38 head.He was using a Celestion G12H-100 loaded cabinet,as well.I thought that his tone was quite similar to the Reverend Billy G at times.Also loved his take on Jimmy Page for his extended solo break.Yeah,great show.

Ed

Thanks Ed for the correct info on Buddy's guitars. I was way too far away to see any name on the headstock, and that tele shaped guitar just "looked" like an ASAT to me.

It sure sounded great when Buddy was playing it!

I'll have to check out Scott Lenz... maybe someday I can have him make something for me!

Speaking of San Diego shows... are you going to Gov't Mule for one of the two HOB shows later this month? That should be a great show as well!

michael

• Members

Originally posted by acousticvoodoo

Speaking of San Diego shows... are you going to Gov't Mule for one of the two HOB shows later this month? That should be a great show as well!

michael

Thanks for the tip!I sure will try to make one of the shows...Warren Haynes gets such sweet tones.

:eek::)

Ed

Archived