What synths did The Cars use on "Just What I Needed"?

rlm297

• Members

Nope, Greg Hawkes did not use a Minimoog. "Just What I Needed" lead was played on a Mini-Korg.

His other keyboards during that era included Vox Continental, Prophet 5, ARP Omni, Yamaha CP30.

• Members

Which artsy guitar picks did the Cars use on "Just What I Needed"?

I'm pretty sure that's what I need to get their sound. It could be the strings or the guitar straps, too, but I think the picks are the mojo to their magic sound. If that doesn't work, I'll try the sunglasses. Somebody suggested portable mentos, but I don't like the fresh makers.

• Members

I'm pretty sure that's what I need to get their sound. It could be the strings or the guitar straps, too, but I think the picks are the mojo to their magic sound. If that doesn't work, I'll try the sunglasses. Somebody suggested portable mentos, but I don't like the fresh makers.

Fingernails. Fingernails with black nail polish.

I had a compressed felt guitar pick for a while. Finger nails are better.

• Members

The pick used was an English Schilling....oh wait...that's Queen......

• Members

You know, I don't mean to jump on you BUT....while I can't speak for guitar straps, guitar picks do drastically change the sound of a guitar. While I understand your point and its intended sarcasm, I'm not sure why you are making it.

LouLoomis

• Members

You know, I don't mean to jump on you BUT....while I can't speak for guitar straps, guitar picks do drastically change the sound of a guitar. While I understand your point and its intended sarcasm, I'm not sure why you are making it.

Many, if not most, analog-style synth sounds used by bands can be easily done on most any analog or virtual analog synth. There are exceptions, of course, but they are not the rule. So I'm making light fun of the notion of buying the same gear of any band to "get their XYZ sound on ABC song", particularly when the sound nearly always happens to be something simple like a saw wave with portamento. I just used the example of "artsy guitar picks" because I liked that part of the OP sig, I like cool picks too, even though the analogy wasn't entirely parallel.

Archived