OT: eBay!!! 21 day hold

35miles

• Members

it's paypal that verifies that the funds have been cleared. they're acting in escrow, whereas the OP is afraid (I gather) of the buyer filing a claim to have the money returned to their account, keeping both the item and money.

as i've mentioned though, there are several seller protections against that. it's mainly a pain if anything; especially if you want a quick turn around.

Its not just a pain, it puts the seller at additional risk. You have neither the item or the money. You are subject to the receiving end.

Had this particular buyer been one with some greater history, I would have been more likely to ship. In the case of a rep of 2, I'm not taking the risk.

Bottom line is that eBay needs to review its risk criteria. I was not the risk in this transaction, the buyer was.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:facepalm:

It puts the seller at risk. I'm not trusting my funds and synth on someone that has a rep of 2. Sorry. That's just the way it is. If you were the buyer, you would be free to do what you felt necessary. What you would not do, is receive my synth without the money in my hands. Period.

If you're not going to abide by the terms of use, you shouldn't be on ebay. Period. The money is in Paypal's hands, not the buyer's. I do agree that ebay is slanted way too far toward the buyer now, but the buyer can't just abort the transaction and get his money back like that.

Think of it as an escrow service. The other way, you have the money and the buyer has nothing. This way, Paypal is holding the money until there is some indication the buyer has the item, then releasing the funds to you.

• Members

Bottom line, is I was not bluffing. No funds in hand, no shipping, no other way.

I agree with you 100%!!! No funds - NO SHIPPING PERIOD I wouldn't care who's rules ebays, Obamas, etc. Unless I have the money in hand, I will not sell, promise to hold, ship or anything. I've learned the hard way years ago.

Good for you for sticking to your guns!

• Members

Its not just a pain, it puts the seller at additional risk. You have neither the item or the money. You are subject to the receiving end.

Had this particular buyer been one with some greater history, I would have been more likely to ship. In the case of a rep of 2, I'm not taking the risk.

Bottom line is that eBay needs to review its risk criteria. I was not the risk in this transaction, the buyer was.

Since eBay has effectively made feedback worthless when it comes to buyers, positive feedback over 2 is not going to necessarily be a valid indicator. Getting bad buyers off of eBay has been a cluster{censored}. You're likely to get lost in the shuffle or end up with one of their Bots since they significantly cut their staff in 08.

And yeah, eBay got a new CEO who seems hellbent on driving it into the ground. He spoke derisively of eBay's flea market vibe and sought to get away from that...now he's seeing that it's what made eBay what it is and that trying to out-Amazon Amazon is FAIL. They're doing a bit of a 180. Too late. He'll probably be rewarded handsomely like most inept CEOs are, but the BOD have currently frozen executive bonuses and salaries for their "underperformance".

eBay has just been one bad decision after another: alienating small sellers in favor of junk peddlers and drop shippers, letting China and its army of fraudsters and counterfeiters in, changing their TOS so often that even what few staff they have left don't know what's going on, etc....all in the name of growth.

I haven't used eBay in almost two years, it's just become a hassle to the point that I'm better off selling on a site like this one or Vintage Synth, etc.

• Members

No, that's not the way it works. For certain sellers, ebay holds the funds until it can be verified that the buyer receives the item. It has nothing to do with clearing banks. It's all about protecting buyers. As far as your bank verifying funds, that too isn't something to concern the buyer with. Once the money is in your paypal account, it's yours. Your paypal account is for all intents and purposes a bank account. You can turn right around and spend it if you want without transferring it to your bank account.

There have been a lot of emails from ebay and paypal about the changes. You're also told about it when you list your item. You don't have to like it, but as a seller on ebay, those are the terms you agree to when you use their service. You can't arbitrarily decide to punish the buyer because you don't want to honor your agreement with ebay/paypal.

You work for ebay?:poke:

Those idiots that sold their web auction sites to ebay years ago

would be laughing now.

That said they did pay up big for some of those sites.

• Members

You work for ebay?:poke:

Those idiots that sold their web auction sites to ebay years ago

would be laughing now.

That said they did pay up big for some of those sites.

Of course not, I'm just saying if you use it, you need to abide by their terms. Imagine being the buyer and the seller tells you have have to wait 21 days then another 3 - 5 to get the money into his account. I'd be really upset. I wouldn't think a seller would last too long with that attitude.

• Members

sure "abide by their rules"

those cocks CHANGED the rules on us. {censored} them. i hope their stock tanks.

Don't give them your business if you don't like their terms. Punishing the buyer isn't right.

• Members

ebay is on a campaign to try to get rid of the small sellers. they cost more to have then the revenue/fees they generate. They would rather have big sellers exclusively.

I mean, it only took *one* user to give me less than 5 stars in shipping to degrade my score to 4.3. If it drops below 4.1 I will be cut off from selling. There is no recourse for me to refute this. I ship everything the next day and send tracking info if available. They have made it far to easy for a seller to get banned by even a single dispute.

• Members

I pretty much stated, there would be no shipping without the funds in my hand.

*SNIP*

Bottom line, is I was not bluffing. No funds in hand, no shipping, no other way.

I also agree 100%.

GCDEF, I see how you feel about the rules and "agreements" with ebay, but I think you're out of your freakin mind.

• Members

I also agree 100%.

GCDEF, I see how you feel about the rules and "agreements" with ebay, but I think you're out of your freakin mind.

So if you won an auction and the seller told you you'd have to wait 26 days for all the funding to clear before he shipped, you'd be okay with that?

• Members

I agree with you, I had the something similar happen to me and I REFUSED TO SHIP W/O payment this is with 500+ feedback. I refunded the money to the seller, told him I would not sell under these ebay conditions and kept it moving.

I am a powerseller and thought now I would be getting full benefit of ebay but I was wrong (I must caveat that this is the first time this has happened in 6 years since joining in 01 but still frustrating). Ebay has gotten off the beaten path that made them great, these new policies are getting ridiculous,

I for one hate the fact sellers can only leave positive feedback for buyers, you have alot of buyers who will not follow thru with the sellers terms and cause all manner of hell (no paying within specified terms, reading the description detailing the condition of the item, sellers asking for additional items not listed after the auction all the while threatening to leave - feedback)...... Its unfortunate now some sellers have to wait 21 days before they get paid even after shipping the item..... that's CRAZY!!!

A final point Ebay needs to require feedback within 30 days of transaction or have the buyer face suspension...... Buyers need to provide feedback period. This way buyers can get over this ridiculous 100 feedback hump, I hate doing all I can to support a buyer and then they fail to support me with positive feedback.....

• Members

I agree with you, I had the something similar happen to me and I REFUSED TO SHIP W/O payment this is with 500+ feedback. I refunded the money to the seller, told him I would not sell under these ebay conditions and kept it moving.

I am a powerseller and thought now I would be getting full benefit of ebay but I was wrong (I must caveat that this is the first time this has happened in 6 years since joining in 01 but still frustrating). Ebay has gotten off the beaten path that made them great, these new policies are getting ridiculous,

I for one hate the fact sellers can only leave positive feedback for buyers, you have alot of buyers who will not follow thru with the sellers terms and cause all manner of hell (no paying within specified terms, reading the description detailing the condition of the item, sellers asking for additional items not listed after the auction all the while threatening to leave - feedback)...... Its unfortunate now some sellers have to wait 21 days before they get paid even after shipping the item..... that's CRAZY!!!

A final point Ebay needs to require feedback within 30 days of transaction or have the buyer face suspension...... Buyers need to provide feedback period. This way buyers can get over this ridiculous 100 feedback hump, I hate doing all I can to support a buyer and then they fail to support me with positive feedback.....

You'll get no argument from me that the whole system sucks right now, but there is no reason a seller needs to wait 21 days. I've only faced the hold once as a seller, but I gave Paypal the tracking number and the funds were released the same day as delivery. It was annoying, but it wasn't that big a deal. I shipped the day after the auction. Shipping took 3 days. I had the money on day 4.

Remember, Payapl has the money, not the buyer. The buyer's out too. Basically, they're forcing an escrow situation on you, which when you think about it, isn't that unreasonable.

• Members

I hate doing all I can to support a buyer and then they fail to support me with positive feedback.....

Yeah, I average like 1 in 3. So my 125 feed back ratings is from like 250 + sales. (Most sellers leave feedback)

• Members

Nobody really likes to use Ebay but you have to admit that you reach quiet some people via their pages. Even stores like Novamusik and others are using Ebay to extend their presence. 10% all together with PayPal seems to be fair amount of money to get you a decent price for your item. Not that Ebay would do anything more for you though...

• Members

So if you won an auction and the seller told you you'd have to wait 26 days for all the funding to clear before he shipped, you'd be okay with that?

Unless it was an international purchase, obviously not. If we're all using paypal because we have no choice anyway, my question to ebay is why is the number 21 even brought up? 3-4 business days right?

To generally answer the question though, if the seller told me "I won't ship till it clears!" I'd TOTALLY be understanding of that, especially for something expensive. It's common sense IMO.

• Members

Yeah one still has to admit Ebay allows you access to more potential buyers world wide, I sell internationally and have had very few issues but still have the idea of shipping an expensive instrument 4000 miles away and potentially having to wait for a relatively new buyer to leave feedback before receiving my money, there are tooo many scammers out there and If a seller has proven themselves with at least 50 positive feedback I think the seller should be trusted ........

Its a catch 22

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

So, I bought a Waldorf Q via eBay and the seller called me to tell me that he was unable to get the funds I sent him until I left positive feedback! Yet, the funds were taken out of my personal checking account and everything indicated the transaction was complete. The seller said that he contacted PayPal and they said that funds couldn't be released until I left positive feedback.

What is going on!? This new policy is good for NO ONE!

Is this for real?

J.

• Members

So, I bought a Waldorf Q via eBay and the seller called me to tell me that he was unable to get the funds I sent him until I left positive feedback! Yet, the funds were taken out of my personal checking account and everything indicated the transaction was complete. The seller said that he contacted PayPal and they said that funds couldn't be released until I left positive feedback.

Is this for real?

J.

Funds will be released to your seller when one of the following occurs.

- you leave positive feedback.

- you take receipt of the item, verifiable by a tracking number, and 3 days transpire.

- 21 days passes.

It sucks.

• Members

This happened to me also. Its not about the buyer's funds clearing or not. It's about the seller being treated like a criminal. If the buyer has a problem with the item, doing negative feedback, the money doesn't clear in paypal! Its insane...

• Members

In order for me to get the synth I "BOUGHT" using "BUY-IT-NOW" the seller would have had to send the synth to me WITHOUT even getting any money in hand until a valid tracking # was issued (and I don't even know how that works).

So, it's bad, really, for both parties... the seller gets nothing right away and only as soon as 3 days and possibly as late as 21 days...? So, the buyer isn't going to get the item they bought until their funds get through to the seller... that means it could take a freakin' month to get something you used "buy-it-now" with.

I went ahead and had to give positive feedback to the seller, even though I haven't even touched the item I paid for. That seemed to do the trick. I don't blame the seller, why would the seller send their goods without even getting the money in hand.

The only option that I could sort of understand would be that the seller doesn't get the money until a verifiable tracking # is issued, other than that this is just a downright bizarre business model.

J.

• Members

Is this for real?

J.

They're "floating" the funds and making interest off of it...probably also for the purpose of padding their books for the shareholders:

http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/26/smbusiness/paypal_float.fsb/index.htm?postversion=2008022611

So, it IS good for someone...it's good for Ebay.

Archived