best drum sounds in a workstation?

• Members

i used to have a triton le61 and sold it to buy an electro.

the only thing i miss is the drums and sequencer.

since then i have played the pc3,motif,fantom,ect,but my focus was to see if any of the rhodes,wurlitzer and clavinet sounds were better than the nord stuff.

thnx c

• Members

I'm assuming you want acoustic sounding drums to go with your EP sounds.

I'm not familiar with all the workstations, but the Alesis Fusion has a set that is available for it at the Alesis Website called the Samplehead Drums. It's a 4-way multi-velocity set similar to what Roland has in its SRX-01.

I really enjoy it and I think it's a great acoustic drum set, and the Fusion itself is a pretty cheap synth these days, you could get it for 400-450 dollars. The sequencer doesn't work wonders for techno/trance but it's OK for other kinds of music, plus you can record 16 tracks of 24-bit audio and since it has a hard drive, there's really no limit to the number of tracks you could be working on at any given time (esp. if you ever decide to upgrade the hard drive to 80 or 120Gb).

Of course, a Roland Fantom with the SRX-01 Drums card will sound very good too, it'll cost ya some 2-3 times more than the Fusion, but some 900 for a Fantom X 61 + 200 for the card isn't that much for what you end up getting. Plus you'll be able to add other expansion cards if you'd like, but I think by now Roland should have lowered the SRX cards to 100 dollars or so at the max... I think they're getting kinda pricey for what you get.

Archived