I played a Prophet O8 last night...

Karma1

• Members

The chip in the P'08 is a variation on the chip Curtis designed for Tom Oberheim's Marion MSR-2...it just dosent seem to have any guts as implemented in the P'08.

It had no guts when implemented in the MSR-2 either and that product dropped like a rock and has few friends now-a-days.....

• Members

After playing a Rev 1 and 3 I was initially quite disappointed in the P08. I spent at least 6 hours over 3 visits before I decided that I actually liked the synth and its capabilities. After selling my Jupiter 8 (owned for 20 some years) 2 years ago I wanted another poly analogue. I think that for

• Members

I wish I could try one. However, with Chicago being such a small city with so few musicians, no stores actually stock the damn thing. All I have to get my GAS flowing is a picture in the Sweetwater catalogue. Not quite the same as laying hands on one and needing to have it at any cost.

They recently had one at the Guitar Center on Halsted Street....played it myself.

• Members

I do have to spend more time than I used to get the sound I hear in my head to be able to program it on the P08. Its not that the P08 is difficult to program, its not.

I felt the same way, coming from an MKS-80 and an OBXa. The OBXa was a big sweet spot, nothing sounded even close to dull, espescially the resonance on the 12dB filter was to die for, as was the polyphonic portamento. I could approximate a lot of these sounds on the P'08, but not the 12dB filter sounds, and not to an extent that made me prefer the P'08 to my Nord Modular G2. :eek:

So I ended up selling the P'08, I still use (and love!) the G2 live, and a Poly Evolver ended up replacing the P'08 in the studio.

• Members

i quite liked the sound of the P08, though i can't say it sounds like my old P600, or any P5 stuff i've heard.

seemed a bit sterile to me too, it's difficult to get an impression auditioning kit in turdkey, you never know what cool stuff you;re going to find to do with it once you delve in.

i have to admit being tempted by it more than once (and not just because it has a patch named after me!)... the silly prices on old poly stuff now makes it look like a smarter deal.

• Members

If you think the P08 sounds sterile, just do what I did on Friday: play it together with a Blofeld keyboard. You might never think of the P08 as sterile ever again.
:)

This guy must be trying to get me riled up because I think the Blofeld sounds a hell of a lot better than the P'08 and don't regret my switch one bit.

More of that bull{censored} analog hype. The only analog I've owned that was worth a repeat purchase is the Moog Voyager and I WILL have a white one God willing.

• Members

This guy must be trying to get me riled up because I think the Blofeld sounds a hell of a lot better than the P'08 and don't regret my switch one bit.

More of that bull{censored} analog hype. The only analog I've owned that was worth a repeat purchase is the Moog Voyager and I WILL have a white one God willing.

While you do sound a little riled up, I can assure you it was not intentional; like most people I have no interest in trying to get some random stranger on an internet forum riled up about anything - especially when I have no idea that they even exist.

I'll share this with you, though: If someone tells you that the keyboard you bought happens to be a pile of {censored}e, just let it go. If you like the thing and make what you consider good music with it, who cares if someone else claims to hear something you don't? Just keep doing what you enjoy, and don't worry about others too much. I mean, I find your 'that bull{censored} analog hype' comment slightly amusing. How about having a good laugh about the fact that I don't like the Blofeld very much? I mean, it's not as if most people - including professional recording artists - agree with me - people love the little thing.

Anyway, enjoy your day (and the Blofeld!)

• Members

While you do sound a little riled up, I can assure you it was not intentional; like most people I have no interest in trying to get some random stranger on an internet forum riled up about anything -
especially
when I have no idea that they even exist.

I'll share this with you, though: If someone tells you that the keyboard you bought happens to be a pile of {censored}e, just let it go. If you like the thing and make what you consider good music with it, who cares if someone else claims to hear something you don't? Just keep doing what you enjoy, and don't worry about others too much. I mean, I find your 'that bull{censored} analog hype' comment slightly amusing. How about having a good laugh about the fact that I don't like the Blofeld very much? I mean, it's not as if most people - including professional recording artists - agree with
me
- people love the little thing.

Anyway, enjoy your day (and the Blofeld!)

I agree and you sound a bit riled up yourself. ;) I've said it many times here that there are different strokes for different folks. This is just a forum and here people express themselves. It makes things interesting.

I'm not upset in any way and haven't been but it's hard to tell one's demeanor over text.

So if anything there is at least one good thing that came out of our little correspondence.

Now you know I exist.

Nice meeting you and see you around. :wave:

• Members

I agree and you sound a bit riled up yourself.
;)
I've said it many times here that there are different strikes for different folks. This is just a forum and here people express themselves. It makes things interesting.

So if anything there is at least one good thing that came out of our little correspondence.

Now you know I exist

Nice meeting you and see you around.
:wave:

Haha, now I know for sure! :)

Thanks, nice meeting you too.

:evil:

;)

• Members

That's so true. It can be very easy to interpret forum posts (and, even worse, SMS's) wrong.

Haha, now I know for sure!

Thanks, nice meeting you too.

:evil:

;)

Now that that's over with, buy my record releases later this year! :D

B needs a Moog Voyager! :thu:

• Members

What! No comment! That isn't good.
:(

YOU ARE MORE RILED UP THAN I AM! :mad:

On a serious note, I checked out the white voyager on Friday. I'm not sure I prefer it over the electric blue, but what really bothered me (ie, the reason for me leaving the store without it) was the price tag. :(

• Members

YOU ARE MORE RILED UP THAN I AM!
:mad:

On a serious note, I checked out the white voyager on Friday. I'm not sure I prefer it over the electric blue, but what
really
bothered me (ie, the reason for me leaving the store without it) was the price tag.
:(

Yeah, tell me about it! :facepalm:

It sounds so alive though. Damn the funk! Bernie Worrell left too much of an impression. In this recession, it seems a bit far fetched or perhaps even foolish of me to consider it but it's such a nice luxury.

White music instruments seem to be working wonders for me right now so I'm sticking to it. The Voyager MUST be white!

My friends should be finishing up his label in June so stay tuned. New music is coming in a few weeks to a month on Myspace. Force feeding myself Logic and trying to get a bit away from old faithful Live a bit.

moog_oldschool_ww_front.jpg

This is more affordable and desired. I don't like the idea of menu diving on a mono synth. Defeats the purpose IMHO.

Archived