Charvel issue

satannica

• Members

So I bought a JAckson Fusion XL a few weeks back.

Excellent guitar for the money I paid! Love the thing.

The only thing that's giving me a real headache is this sodding tremolo arm!

Basically the guitar didn't come with one and I can't find one that fits. I have about 15 different tremolo arms here from assorted places like BC Rich, Kramer, OFR, Schallers, etc... don't appear to have any jackson ones.

Basically, where can I get an arm to fit this mofo?

The only real alternative is to replace the tremolo with an OFR or a Schaller unit which seems a bit expensive seeing as I'm only missing the arm...

Jon

• Members

I have three OFR arms... one is a screw in which definately doesn't work and the other two are twisty around affairs.

They both fit in the hole but sink way too deep to actually be of any use and don't actually thread around.

Could the floyd be knackered in any way?

Jon

• Members

my Jackson is an older import model, and it came with a pretty well built trem but i can only fit the exact arm that it came with in it...

i think chances are the cheap floyd rose liscenced trems are maybe inconsistent because iv had the same problem with about 2 or 3 guitars!

i say ditch it completely and pick up a new OFR or atleast one thats used but in fairly good condition. Those things can be had on ebay occasionaly for a good price if you're lucky!

Dan

• Members

Originally posted by satannica

As it happens I have 3 or 4 OFRs lying around... I may well just make the change and have done with it.

I believe the nuts are all R2 sized though... have to check it all out before I do and have to check if they're rear-loaded nuts.

Jon

well that should work just fine, i noticed though that my Charvel 650XL uses an R4 sized nut, and it isnt rear loaded...

i hope that you can get everything working though, it shouldnt work out too difficult

good luck

Dan

• Members

I'll do a good bit of measuring before I go ripping the floyd out.

I want to replace the pickups anyways so I'll do the whole thing in one shot.

The previous owner replaced the pickups with emgs and I don't really like em in there... its HSS so currently thinking Dimarzio Super D in the bridge, classic stack in the neck and leaving the middle blank.

I guess I can always get a few bucks on ebay for the tremolo unit...

Jon

• Members

I'll do a good bit of measuring before I go ripping the floyd out.

I want to replace the pickups anyways so I'll do the whole thing in one shot.

The previous owner replaced the pickups with emgs and I don't really like em in there... its HSS so currently thinking Dimarzio Super D in the bridge, classic stack in the neck and leaving the middle blank.

I guess I can always get a few bucks on ebay for the tremolo unit...

Jon

for Charvels and Jacksons id definitly recommend the Duncan 'Custom' or the 'Custom Custom' for the bridge!

The 'Custom' has more bite n slightly more output, whereas the 'Custom Custom' has a smoother sound to it, real thick sound!

im sure you would love either!

Dan

• Members

Actually, the duncan custom was a mainstay on my guitars for a long time for many years even... but then I kinda just got bored of it and wanted some more instant gratification.

I still have a couple of those pickups around, may slap one in and check it out.

I'll get hold of a custom custom too... sounds a bit more the ticket!

The EMG81 is just way too harsh in that alder body!

• Members

Actually, the duncan custom was a mainstay on my guitars for a long time for many years even... but then I kinda just got bored of it and wanted some more instant gratification.

I still have a couple of those pickups around, may slap one in and check it out.

I'll get hold of a custom custom too... sounds a bit more the ticket!

The EMG81 is just way too harsh in that alder body!

yeah i bet that 81 is too much, mine was in an Ibanez RG n it was definitly too harsh sounding

the Custom custom is an awesome pickup! its capable of some great lead tones n the rhythm tones are thick too!

i like it alot, cause the alnico 2 magnet gives it sweet harmonics and sustain

Dan

Archived