SOT:Need some SuperStrat advice--Upgrade an 'ok' guitar or build a new one?

SHIVmongrel

• Members

First off, I have my old handle back! After my machine crashed, I decided to start anew under the name 500Hz...I know I could've asked the admin, but I just never got around to it...I kind of missed the old me and decided to revert!

Anyhow, here's the deal: My only guitar is in Nashville for warranty work--at least another 4 weeks before it's finished...I have a tele being built--at least another 3 months before it's done. I bought a used Fender Classic '50s strat for the meantime. I'll probably sell the strat once I have the LP and tele again.

The strat is 'ok'...But it's routed S-S-S...I have a Custom 5 just sitting in my drawer that won't fit. I also have a set of SD Classic stacks, unopened, that I can exchange if needed.

Should I find an 8-hole pickguard, wire it up with either the stacks or some S-sized humbuckers from SD and swap it out for the time being? I could always swap this back out and use it for a future strat.

Or should I build up a Warmoth Superstrat with full-sized humbuckers and sell the Fender after it's done to help finance the effort?

What would you do? I really feel like I need a better sound and less noise, plus the vibrato is basically junk so it's useless. It's a lot harder going down in quality than going up, especially after so many years of having a decent guitar.:)

Archived