Google Earth

CTBMETAL

• Members

Originally posted by -=MYK=-

I wonder if the government has something like this, but hooked up to their satellites and stuff and they can see stuff in real time as it happens. That would be neat.

The sure do, though its not quite the same as you are saying. The google earth data non-existant for areas like military bases. Wouldnt want the terrorists using google earth to plan attacks would we?

Military satellite data resolves down to like a meter or less.

• Members
Originally posted by -=MYK=-

I wonder if the government has something like this, but hooked up to their satellites and stuff and they can see stuff in real time as it happens. That would be neat.

like that scene in men in black when k is watching his wife garden?

• Members
Originally posted by redrol

The sure do, though its not quite the same as you are saying. The google earth data non-existant for areas like military bases. Wouldnt want the terrorists using google earth to plan attacks would we?

Military satellite data resolves down to like a meter or less.

Of course we wouldn't want that available to the public.

:)

• Members

The kinds of satellites that are taking these pictures are typically in polar orbits and not geostationary ones. The satellite goes north/south around the earth as the earth rotates inside of it allowing the sat to get pictures from all over the globe. Having a realtime feed from a satellite that probably won't be anywhere near what you want pictures of wouldn't do you much good.

Further, most military spy satellites are in eliptical orbits rather than circular ones so that the satellite can get much closer to the earth for taking pictures. A circular geostationary orbit requires a satellite be at 22,000 miles above the earth, while an eliptical can get much closer, but only for 1/3 of its orbit.

I'm sure they have some that allow realtime views of certain locations, but I don't think they'd be at the quality of the images you see on google earth even.

• Members
Originally posted by Teronzhul

The kinds of satellites that are taking these pictures are typically in polar orbits and not geostationary ones. The satellite goes north/south around the earth as the earth rotates inside of it allowing the sat to get pictures from all over the globe. Having a realtime feed from a satellite that probably won't be anywhere near what you want pictures of wouldn't do you much good.

Further, most military spy satellites are in eliptical orbits rather than circular ones so that the satellite can get much closer to the earth for taking pictures. A circular geostationary orbit requires a satellite be at 22,000 miles above the earth, while an eliptical can get much closer, but only for 1/3 of its orbit.

I'm sure they have some that allow realtime views of certain locations, but I don't think they'd be at the quality of the images you see on google earth even.

Aw man...:(:o

• Members
Originally posted by BerkleeBill

Google Earth was something else a year or so ago -- I know, cuz I had used it to zoom in on a wicked close-up pic of my backyard. Then, the Govt. freaked out, and now you can only zoom in to like the 5,000 foot level (??) Not very close, whatever it is....

It used to be on the microsoft site.

• Members

Keyhole would be the company you were thinking of ... Google bought them out.

I first checked out a trial 2 years ago and all the maps were within a year or two old.

I know all the maps for the suburbs of Chicago are 2 years old (easily dated because of constant construction).

Also if you look at Area 51 you can see it all ... some bases have intricate overlays over bases. Can't see the surrounding area though. Who knows if that's even what it looks like (gov't has to have some mad photoshop skillz too).

• Members

Google Earth tells you what year the images you're looking at were taken in, and there are many areas that are 2005 imagery.

Google is very good about liscensing images from Digital Explorer etc as soon as possible and updating. New image overlays for New Orleans were available only days after Hurricane Katrina.

See here:
http://www.google.com/earth/katrina.html

• Members

Originally posted by Fiverz

Keyhole would be the company you were thinking of ... Google bought them out.

I first checked out a trial 2 years ago and all the maps were within a year or two old.

I know all the maps for the suburbs of Chicago are 2 years old (easily dated because of constant construction).

Also if you look at Area 51 you can see it all ... some bases have intricate overlays over bases. Can't see the surrounding area though. Who knows if that's even what it looks like (gov't has to have some mad photoshop skillz too).

Area 51 is fully visible.

• Members
Originally posted by CTBMETAL

www.earth.google.com

download this program. its pretty amazing. you can navigate the world pretty much.. zoom in, zoom out, get directions, all in real time. i just zoomed in right on my apartment complex. only downside is you can only zoom in close to bigger cities.

Um, you could just go outside and look at your apartment complex.............

• Members

Originally posted by Serj

Area 51 is fully visible.

"Also if you look at Area 51 you can see it all ..."

That's what I said ... but the overlay is not current to what is really there now (I know for a fact there is another runway they have added on since that pic). Why would they put a MORE detailed overlay for a base when the surrounding area is not very visible? To hide what's really there (I don't mean little green men, I'm talking about structures that are possible terrorist targets).

• Members

This is one of the coolest free programs ever on the internet.....I hope schools are using neat stuff like this to teach kids about geography.

You never know how really small and {censored}ty where you live is until you either get on a plane or look at something like this.

If you do the tilt view with terrain on something like Hoover Dam the view is pretty damn amazing.

Archived