OT:I suck at singing

ReighIB

• Members

I suck at singing but i want to get good at it because i like singing alot. Unfortunantely, the lessons are way too expensive and i dont think i can afford one. The main thing im after is to find the 'tone' of my voice and try to improve on it but since i cant sing to save my life, chances of that happening is close to zero. Are there any free online lessons that helps on vocal techniques?

• Members

You're in luck. Many of the top vocal coaches teach straight from a book/CD called Secrets of Singing by Jeffry Allen.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0769278043/104-3048752-7571127?v=glance

Included is a vocal workout cd which has become an industry standard tool. The book covers anatomy, focus, the whole bit. But, honestly, like anything else, the real gains come from the workouts. The cd will kick your butt. In the end, it will make you a whole lot better at breathing, range, pitch, announciation, etc.

• Members

I will give you a good tip that you will think is a total joke - i'm taking lessons now.

Watch Sponge Bob Square Pants. There is a character on that show called Patrick, the actor who does his VO has a very low larynx which is one thing you need to learn when you are just starting out (as I am). Emulate his voice and you will learn to keep it low - so that when you start to go up in range you will have a lot more gas than you otherwise would.

haha

I'm really serious.

• Members

Try singing along to the same songs very loud in your car or somewhere where other people aren't going to hear you on a regular basis, and you should start to pick up on things. I'm not exactly a good singer by any means, but that got me going to the point where I was at least actually capable of singing.

• Members

best advice i can give you is to record yourself (sing over an acoustic track) and listen to your voice intensely. sing by yourself in your room with a guitar, or without anything, or along with cds. sing into a mic with headphones on to hear how the mic picks up your voice (it'll sound different, less of what you hear and more of what other people would hear).

just mix it up a lot, keep practicing and experimenting, try covering as many songs as possible.

btw i used to suck at singing A LOT. and i'm still not great, but i've been working on it steadily for 6 months or so and at this point i can sing decently, i can also do decent falsetto and scream in key to heavier stuff (THAT one's the tough one).

www.purevolume.com/danbronson

not great by any stretch, but by my standards good enough to put on the internet.:)

• Members

Originally posted by nickname009

you're in even BETTER luck my friend

follow this link and read everything, it is slightly geared towards screaming but in order to scream you have to know how to sing:

Singing

as far as technique and stuff is concerned, this is GOLD. Thanks for posting it.:)

• Members

Originally posted by OneArmedScissors

Try singing along to the same songs very loud in your car or somewhere where other people aren't going to hear you on a regular basis, and you should start to pick up on things. I'm not exactly a good singer by any means, but that got me going to the point where I was at least actually capable of singing.

I heard that you're not suppose to do that to get better at singing because it creates a bad habit for you. I dont know with this is true though....

• Members

I growl/sing while playing guitar sometimes, I CAN do it, but its physically pretty demanding with playing fast technical music.

I really enjoy it, I like having control like that and making something sound "just right" to my ears.

I actually really like my voice, but I would have to quit smoking if I were to do it often. :o Theres no way I could go a full set with these lungs. :(

• Members

Originally posted by OneArmedScissors

Well yeah, if you don't know what you are doing. It isn't going to teach you how to sing, but you can at least find your voice that way. A lot of people think they "can't" sing, but they've never really tried. That'll help you figure out that you can.

truth. one of the worst things a person can do in my opinion is go straight into vocal lessons without any singing experience. that's what i did and it didn't teach me to do anything, most vocal coaches kind of expect that you actually DO sing on occassion and just want to learn to do it properly.

i think a person should do the singing in the car/singing and playing acoustic thing for a while to see how far they can get themselves before they need lessons to try and perfect the skill.

• Members

Originally posted by stratsyndrome

Watch Sponge Bob Square Pants. There is a character on that show called Patrick, the actor who does his VO has a very low larynx which is one thing you need to learn when you are just starting out (as I am).

You know who does Patrick's voice??

Its Dobber from COACH.

:D

Archived