Marshall TSL100 & Weber Mass 100......

ScreaminKing

• Members

This is a question that I'm asking more for curiosities sake.

I have a Marshall TSL100 head and I was wondering if it would be possible to use my Weber Mass 100 with it. I know that Marshall's are usually underrated and that 100 watt Marshall's don't mix well with the Weber Mass 100, however if I were to pull 2 tubes from my TSL (effectively making it 50 watts) would it be safe to run it with the Mass?

Yes, I'm aware of the VPR switch for lower volume playing and yes the TSL does sound good at low volumes. I was just wondering if this was alright to do, and I'd rather learn that here than from a fried amp :)

Thanks for any help guys.

• Members

Originally posted by kannibul

I found attenuation with the TSL to not be exactly worth the money, but, to each their own.

This is probably a question more for Ted Weber than for anyone here
:)

Well I already have a Weber Mass 100, I use it a bit with my Boogie combo. I got a good deal on it, so I figured I'd get it and play around with it. I could probably sell the Mass for more than I paid.

I'm just wondering if this possibility is a safe one. I've used my friends Hotplate on my TSL and I definitely liked what I heard.

• Members

Originally posted by ScreaminKing

Well I already have a Weber Mass 100, I use it a bit with my Boogie combo. I got a good deal on it, so I figured I'd get it and play around with it. I could probably sell the Mass for more than I paid.

I'm just wondering if this possibility is a safe one. I've used my friends Hotplate on my TSL and I definitely liked what I heard.

I'm sure it's safe to plug in, and safe to use to a point - might be safe with the amp dimed on the clean channel - I don't know.

I think the hotplate is rated for something like 150w RMS...honestly, your best bet would be to contact Ted tomorrow. I'm sure he'd be mroe than helpful :)

• Members

I'm sure it's safe to plug in, and safe to use to a point - might be safe with the amp dimed on the clean channel - I don't know.

I think the hotplate is rated for something like 150w RMS...honestly, your best bet would be to contact Ted tomorrow. I'm sure he'd be mroe than helpful
:)

Well I know you should use a Mass 100 if you're going to attenuate a 50 watt Marshall. I'm just wondering if by removing the 2 tubes it technically "converts" the amp to 50 watts, or do all the electronics still act as if it's 100 watts?

• Members

Originally posted by ScreaminKing

Well I know you should use a Mass 100 if you're going to attenuate a 50 watt Marshall. I'm just wondering if by removing the 2 tubes it technically "converts" the amp to 50 watts, or do all the electronics still act as if it's 100 watts?

You're knocking back half the wattage.

So, yeah, pull two tubes.

One from the left pair and one from the right pair - and be sure to use half the impedance.

(16 ohm cab into 8 ohm jack)

• Members

You're knocking back half the wattage.

So, yeah, pull two tubes.

One from the left pair and one from the right pair - and be sure to use half the impedance.

(16 ohm cab into 8 ohm jack)

When I have 1/2 the impedence, I don't flick the switch on my cab to make it 8ohms? I should run it as a mismatch?

Guest Anonymous

In have a MASS50 and a DSL50 head. If I crank the DSL50 past 12:00 on the volume adjustment the MASS50 gets hotter than hell. At half volume or less the MASS just gets warm. I'm sure the same logic will apply to the 100 watt configuration.

• Members

Well, I e-mailed Ted and he told me that everything should be fine if I pull 2 tubes just as long as I adjust the impedence properly.

So I guess I'll try it out. Take the 16 ohm jack of the cab and run it into the 8 ohm jack of the head right? Just making sure, I hate the idea of frying my amp.

• Members

Yep sounds right!

Let us know how it sounds...

I once used a power brake with my TSL100 + 1960AV, and also tried pulling tubes but i found i prefered the sound without the power brake & with booster hitting the front end (i use a fulltone Fatboost and an SD-1)

• Members

Originally posted by PGS412

Yep sounds right!

Let us know how it sounds...

I once used a power brake with my TSL100 + 1960AV, and also tried pulling tubes but i found i prefered the sound without the power brake & with booster hitting the front end (i use a fulltone Fatboost and an SD-1)

Well it's more for my curiosity, but I'm interested to hear how the clean channel sounds cranked like that.

I usually play the crunch channel with the gain around 12, and I have a Sparkle Drive to boost it. I'm mostly just curious to try out all sorts of stuff with my gear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I didn't want to take over yngzaklynch's TSL thread, so I figured I'd ressurect this one.

One more quick question :)

So I'm about to do this, and on the back of the head there is a 4/8 ohm selector switch. Since I've pulled 2 tubes, I run my attenuator at 16 ohms, the cab at 16 ohms, and then plug it into the amp @ 8 ohms. Right? On the TSL, there is either 1 16 ohm jack, or 2 parallel jacks with the 4/8 ohm selector. If I set it to 8 ohms, can I just plug it in to either of those jacks?

Archived