Build an amp

cacheek

• Members

Originally posted by pink freud

yeah.

my evil lazy side just keeps telling me that it will be easier to find stuff like 62nf with 400V+ ratings in ceramics.

damn my lazy side.

Ceramics are {censored}. The first mod I ever did was to rip them out of an old Fender years back. 400 volt ratings are not hard to find, I use 630 or 1000. That value though is not a standard and IMO prolly a misprint.. Try 68nf.

There is no easy way to wire a higher gained amp, only the right way. So bury that lazy side while you wire it up or you will be banging your head later. It is a good ID like someone said earlier to test each stage as you go and do the gain channel last.

• Members

Originally posted by pink freud

cool, thanks.

i might go with the deyoung, because i might be able to go through soldano (i live in seattle).

15watt output shouldn't be too differant than 18watt.

In fact it shouldn't be any different at all. Your biggest issue is primary impedance matching and since both amps use 2 EL-84's you'll be good.

• Members

Originally posted by cacheek

Anybody out there ever build their own amp? Where do you start and about how much does it cost? I was thinking about building a class a, bad cat hot cat-esk amp. Suggestions?

Ever see the guts of a Hot Cat, especially the 'R' series, where all the glory lieth in wait for thee?!!! :) You've got a helluva constructon job on your hands there, not to mention the custom trannies, caps, etc. I really doubt you could ever approach the Hot Cat tone given all the secret sauce you'd be missing.

Archived