I got to play the new Kasha Amps!!!

AndyZ

• Members

Let's just set a precendent right here with some background... I am not an employee of Kasha. I am not related to John Kasha in any way. I've known John for many years and have used (and still do) his original product line. I'm a producer and guitarist, and co-own a recording studio here in L.A. I work with a few other amp companies and lend my ears and opinions as they want to use them. I have nothing to gain in this, other than mutual respect as a trusted source when asked for my opinion. That be said here's a mini review and some thoughts...

I have a special Rockmod that has been more than "Huff-ed". You can hear some of this guy on my MySpace page (see sig below) on the first track called Picture in a Magazine for a band we just got done producing. And have used it with predominately VHT gear for the last 15 years. That preamp has the mojo! Sure there are lot's of great amps out there, but not many at all have the versatility or can stand on their own. I believe the new Kasha line will.

I too was fortunate enough to be invited to play and review the prototype of the new Kasha preamp and Kasha head version. Everything I have loved in my one-off Rockmod is all there in the new line, plus more now in not only features, but in some extendability in tone shaping features. Cleans were pristine, Crunch was smooth and natural from lite crunch to plexi-ish Marshall-esqe textures. The Gain channel still has that over the top sound but retains definition, clarity and sustain for days. And all this was through a 1x12. I forgot pretty quickly into it were only using the 1x12 because the presence and rich tone quality were outtanding.

I played 3 different guitars to try out the characteristics and they all worked and acted like I anticipated for what they were. The stock Am Std Strat wasn't thin or to thick on any of the 5 settings. It's what a Strat should sound like period! I used Tele Custom with a humbucker in the neck and a Lil 59. Plenty of snap for country as well as mucho crunch when the rear humbucker was engaged. Finally another Fender semi hollow body with I believe a Duncan or Dimarzio hot bridge pup. Plenty of fat crunch and singing gain.

Was I impressed? Yes and No. Yes because it sounded great all around. It's a winner in my mind! And No, because I expect that out of John Kasha. He's built great stuff for years.

I for one can't wait to get mine when they are ready! It will be a staple at my recording studio.

Their site is http://www.kashaamplifiers.com

Archived