Great beat lost, now what?

• Members

The SH-201 has mini sequencer built in which can capture and loop key notes and knob motions, but it's limited to just eight measures and eight save slots.

I'll bump this again since there seemed to be zero response. It would take less than five minutes to read the manual on how to use the onboard MIDI recorder, then capture and save your riffs on spot. You can even turn the tempo super slow, set it for eight measures and capture like half a minute of notes.

• Members

You know, I always had better luck with cassette recorders for ideas because it was so easy to just rewind or 'scrub' back in time by holding rewind and when you let go it just starts playing back for you. In the case of digital finding what you want to hear is complicated, especially if the file is really big. When you stop recording to play it jumps back to the beginning of the file, and then you can't 'scrub' the audio file looking for what you want it ends up being a guessing game. For digital to work I'd like it to be able to allow me to start playback at the end of the file and scrub back and foward in time as needed. Any songwriters out there understand what I'm talking about?

• Members

Would it be nuts to go full bore and dump Cubase for this thing?

I tried that for a while, with a D1600 though. I still have the D1600 but rarely use it. It's got some nice features and is a tiny bit quicker to get up and running than Cubase.

But the converter quality isn't that great, and if you want to do detailed audio editing, in the cut/copy paste type way, forget it - it takes ten times as long.

I like to do more stuff with midi than audio anyways, so Cubase is a better for for me.

The standalone hard disc recorders are handy to have though.

• Members

Thanks, mildbill.

Hopefully this is not too off-topic:

Upon further consideration, I see your point. I don't mind mixing and mastering on the computer, but I do find the computer to be a major buzzkill during recording, anytime I am playing (or trying to play).

Does anyone know- what standalone HD recorder has the best converters? Lot's of the stuff out there seems cheezy with built in drum machines and whatnot...it would not surprise me if the core functionality was compromised on many of these units. Any positive experiences?

Archived