Free sites to post music ?

Logicat

• Members

Hi,

i've never used those Internet sites like MySpace or similar to post my cheap music. I'd like to start, but i see that many of you use many different sites to post the music you make.

Could you please give me a suggestion about a good free site of this type ? Which are the pros and cons of each site ?

Thank you

• Members

You could use Youtube - just use any video editor to put your music in the background, and make a slideshow with pictures. Downside; not hi-fi, will revert to regular quality (in other words: crap) where HD isn't available.

You could use SoundClick. Songs have to be approved first, or it was like that according to earlier reports (to avoid people uploading music they didn't make). I dislike their pop-up Flash player.

MySpace works too; downside is that the webpage is kind of drab, and you can't link directly, and blocked at several companies (for a good reason).

Last.fm does the job as well; again, direct linking to the actual file is not possible. Soundcloud ( http://soundcloud.com/ ) is nice too and has a waveform display. There's also http://www.tindeck.com/ which has a Flash player.

If you want to give people your mp3 files, webspace is not expensive at all anymore, and you have full control over everything.

• Members

IMO I put too much work (and money) into sounding good to post it on Youtube.

And I'm allergic to Myspace.

I pay $7/month for web hosting. I could probably do it cheaper, but it's a local host and I'm too lazy to move to a cheaper host. I got a friend to do the web design for free, but before that I had something basic that I put together myself-- basically just a plain page that said "here's some music".

And how cool would it be to post your music at Logicat . com ?

• Members

Thank you all for the feedback. Actually, i have yet a domain (on-pay), but i have no time to setup cool pages like those shown in specialized music sites, i use it for my drawings/animations (and music too), but i'm going to close it since it has not those useful/nice features like embedded comments and the like, just plain static pages.

I am on YouTube and i joined it for video mostly. Sure, i can post music there and i'll do that, but audio quality is not assured.

I have absolutely no knowledge of music-only (or -mostly) web spaces. And since my own web site is totally unknown, i was hoping that joining a well-known music sharing service would allow for more visits (i'm not targeting to become a star, of course, it's just for fun, and maybe to know other people interested in electronic/orchestral simulation/soundtrack music genres).

Those music-related web spaces have embedded commenting facilities, can show pics (i guess, some of them at least), are optimized for contacting people, and, generally speaking, make sharing music 'easier' than a ugly personal home page, to me at least. But i never joined any of them, so i was asking.

I'll give a watch to each link you provided, thank you for the suggestions.

• Members

soundclick is easy, fun and free. It's a community, you can even have your song go up the charts in the genre you choose to classify it as, you also have the option to allow folks to download it for free, purchase or just stream it. You can upload pics and give descriptions of a song.

I just joined it and although I've only uploaded a couple of short things to activate the account, it's nice to have when I complete some more music.

Try it, it's free, if you don't like it...DELETE!!:lol:

http://www.soundclick.com/

btw, I don't have a MySpace, Facebook, Twatter or any of that stuff.

• Members

Myspace is popular and great for networking but the sound quality is not the best. My friend heard what I mixed at my house on MP3 and compared it to the myspace upload and could clearly hear the difference. Bothe files were the same MP3 encoded by Bias Peak.

One loaded into itunes and the other uploaded to myspace. I'm hoping to get a better player and use it in Myspace or get some serious incite into "Myspace" mastering.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

the whole world of music from the biggest stars to the smallest netlables- all radio- all recording- seems to be converging at lastfm.com- I recently uploaded an album there myself- as have some other regulars here-

it is amazing to upload your music to a site where your work can be tagged to major artists and show up in similar artists/genre radio playlists for anyone in the world- name another site where you can upload an ambient song and millions of people all over the world will hear your song when they listen to ambient radio? or if you recorded a song that sounds like kraftwerk you can tag it and every kraftwerk fan will get a chance to hear your song when they play radio tagged kraftwerk or just their recommended artist radio

lastfm has also nearly replaced the need to own a music collection- more and more you can listen to anything you want at any time- it FEELS like owning the entire discography of Earth's music!

I also have an artistserver site- which is like soundclick and all the others- but these are just limited collections of moslty unsigned artists- lastfm is ALL MUSIC- every genre/ every label/ every artist- all networked together by genre/personal affiliation/ fanbase- easily the most complete collection of Earth's music- more than any other source- even dwarfing itunes and Amazon in the number of artists and albums represented- and many artists have uploaded unrealeased songs and live versions available nowhere else-

• Members

That site seems interesting setAI. At the end, i joined Soundclick. Myspace was more interesting (better interface and overall popularity, to me), but has a VERY ANNOYING limit of 10 songs only; and the first song i uploaded was too big for it (20 megs or something), so it was discarded...And i lost 1 'slot', remaining with 9, even if i had not a single music on my account :facepalm:. And it seems you can't even replace those 10 songs once all the slots are used (although i might be wrong on this, not sure).

Anyway, i'll give a watch to that lastfm.com site...

Archived