Fender Stage 112SE Problem Please help

bigfish6025

• Members

Hi, so this is my first post here and I have spent the better part of an hour searching the threads for the solution to this problem I am having and have come up with nothing.

When you read the review of the Fender Stage 112SE's clean channel everyone raves about how pure it is. Mine is fuzzy. Its horrible. Every note I pluck has this staticky dull fuzzy ring to it. And its only when I pick a note. The amp is totally quiet otherwise.

A bit of history: the stock speaker blew out on me and I replaced it, with the reccomendation of an amp tech, with a new speaker that has a waaay heavier magnet. It worked fine for a while and then I had it in storage for a couple years and when I pulled it out I noticed this problem. Also, the speaker has a small puncture wound in the cone, which I patched with pretty pink nail polish, and the bond has held for years.

Is there a basic cleaning procedure I can run through with this amp? I know input one has a bad connection because when I bend the cable I lose signal, but I get the fuzzy sound on the clean channel on inputs one and two.

Your advice is kindly appreciated.

• Members

That is a PCB amp, cleaning the jack will not help you. A tech needs to remove the PCB and go over all the solder joints, probably. I've worked on those before, and almost all the issues they've had were resolved by reworking the boards. YMMV, of course. Bring it to a tech.

• Members

Well, I took the bull by the horns last night and cracked that amp open to clean the board. I got some PCB cleaner and contact cleaner from Radio Shack and was feeling pretty good going in...but not that good.

I have an old amp I picked up off Craigslist that never really worked right. Its a Holmes Tech 15. I have some experience working with electronics, but I have never taken apart an amp, so the little Holmes was my guinea pig. Everything went fine with that. It really improved the sound.

Feeling stoked, I proceeded to crack open the Fender. Once I got the PCB completely out, I went through the same procedure, applying the cleaning solution and using the little brush to scrub all the solder points. They all looked fine, and the board was very clean. Much cleaner than the one in the Holmes.

I cleaned the inputs by applying contact cleaner to a cable and inserting it several times.

Long story short, I got it all back together and it still makes the fuzzy noise on the clean channel as well as the dirty channel.

I looked at the speaker and it is mounted tight by 4 screws...2 of which are missing nuts....but its on there really tight nonetheless.

One thing I did not mess with was the little rectangular box in the bottom of the amp that is connected to the board by red & white RCA cables. However, I did unplug the cables and the amp still worked and still made the noise.

Anyway, thats exactly where I'm at with this so if anyone has additional suggestions I would appreciate hearing them. I would prefer not to have to bring this in, but having just spent $20 on solvents at radio shack I could have been $20 closer to a professional inspection.

My stubborn DIY attitude is gonna ruin me...

• Members

I have a stage 112SE since '94. And I still use it alot even over my boogie. The cleans are fantastic and I've never had a problem with fuzz or scratchiness on the clean channel, but I do have a problem with a scratchy pot on my vox wah. Which I thought would get fixed with some PCB cleaner at Radio Shack. It didn't work. Oh well.:confused:

• Members

The thing is, it doesnt matter where any of the knobs are, its just a general fuzz in the tone. That leads me to believe that its not the pots but something else. The speaker? I'm not sure. Maybe if I run a line out to different speakers and see if its making the noise I can either rule in or rule out the speaker.

It is my mission to get the sparkling clean tone back in my 112

• 6 months later...

Archived