A question about small amps and micing.

GWS5987

• Members

There are all kinds of single 12" combos that weigh around 40 lbs. A 30 watt tube combo is ideal for stage use IMHO. They're easily loud enough to be heard well over drums, but controllable enough you don't have to peel paint to make them sound good.

Typically, they should be all the volume you need to hear yourself. If not, you'd get your guitar run back into your monitors.

For what you do, a little EL-84 based combo would be ideal. Peavey Classic 30 is a good workhorse amp. Crate V3112 is perhaps a little more refined sounding and another good choice. For more aggressive distortion, a Mesa F-30, but there are plenty of different amps available.

• Members

My lataest rig is an Epiphone Valve Special (5 watt, 1x10", around $200US) into a Behringer Ultra-G DI box with 4x12" sim. I take the cab out back to the 10" in the Epi, and run the cab sim line to a line mixer/splitter. From there, one line goes to the PA board, and one line comes back to a powered monitor (2-way, 15" and a horn). Usually I don't even need the monitor, as the Epi is really pretty loud on it's own, but you never know what stage levels are gonna be. Besides, I keep a Marshall pre-amp in the same rack as the line mixer, just for back-up.

I know, it sounds like a lot of gear, but it's all fairly light. :)

Archived