Cheap midi filter to filter out note on/off ?

gilwe

• Members

I have my Juno 106 connected to my A33 on one output. I was trying to make it switch presets when done form the A33 but not respond to keyboard playing, but it seems the only solution would be placing some kind of midi filter between them, to filter out the notes and only pass on the preset change commands.

Any cheap midi filter which can do that ?

the cheapest I know of so far is the MIDI Solution Router (125$)...

Thanks !

• Members

You've probably already thought of this, but you could set the key range of the A-33 to something very high or low so the Juno won't play any notes. Then, use the two separate zones and MIDI outs of the A-33 so it can still send a useful MIDI stream of your played notes to other modules/keyboards on the other MIDI output.

Bit of a kludge but would work at a pinch...

• Members

Sorry, should have been more specific.

Set the A-33's split point to be the lowest note of its keyboard, then set the "upper" range to go to MIDI out 1 and the "lower" range to go to MIDI out 2. This means that none of the keyboard falls within the "lower" range.

Play with both "upper" and "lower" activated (i.e. layered), and the lower section (which you'd send to your Juno via MIDI out 2) should only get controller and program change data, not any notes that the Juno will respond to. MIDI out 1 (which is taking the output from the "upper" range) will get all the notes.

Thinking about this, I realise you said you wanted to send program changes, so I guess you'd have to do this set-up for each program you wanted to use - quite a bit of work on reflection!

Maybe getting a MIDI filter would be easier...

• Members

I see what you mean. As you said, I thought about it already ;)

and found that you can't make a split point at the very low or very high note of the keyboard, there's about a half octave at the top or the bottom side, which must be assigned to one of the channels (unfortunately)

• Members

Ah, you're ahead of me! I'd not actually tried this out (obviously) - useful to know about that restriction the split points.

I have no more bright ideas on this I'm afraid... but it might be cheaper to buy a budget MIDI controller than a MIDI filter and send the program changes from that. Maybe Behringer BCN-44 or Korg Nano something?

• Members

Nah.

I run a setup in which the A33 should be connected to both the Juno 106, JV2080 module and a Roland DEP5 multieffect. Preset changes are sent from the A33 to all three devices at once (so if I select song number 5 for example, all devices sync to program 5). The keyboard itself should only affect the JV2080 and not make the Juno play.

I used to use Roland JV90 as a controller, which is able to only send patch control data on a specific channel, and it worked well, but it only had 16 programs...

The A33 has 32 programs and is lighter in weight, but again, no way to only send patch changes on a specific channel.

I'm thinking about getting either of the MIDI Solutions Router or Event Processor, but would rather buy it second hand ;)

Archived