Mesa Boogie EQ question

Karma1

• Members

I recently picked up a Mesa Boogie Studio 22+ with the 5 band graphic equalizer. I'd appreciate some advice on the difference between the 5 band graphic and the 3 knobs for bass, treble, and middle. What different functions do they serve, and what's the relationship between them? I've heard that the bands on the graphic eq are very interactive with each other and very sensitive to small tweaks. So I'm wondering about the best proceedure to follow in setting up your tone with eq on an amp like this?

• Members

the bands on the graphic EQ aren't very interactive, but they are very powerful. the eq knobs are quite interactive, but not very powerful for shaping the final tone.

a simple way to think of it is: the knobs will adjust the attack, gain, texture, focus, etc., then the graphic EQ will actually fill out the tone like most amps knobs do.

typically, high-gain amps have most of their gain before the tone controls. boogies put the tone controls right after the input, then add more gain stages after that. so, they act very different and have to be set certain ways to keep the sound intact, which makes them kinda ineffective as actual tone controls, but great for controlling texture and feel. so, they added the graphic EQ after all the gain stages, to give you back that control. in fact, it gives you even greater control than most amps have.

the graphic EQ is often not needed on the clean channel, because the clean channel doesn't have any extra gain stages after the EQ knobs. and since it's real close to typical fender designs, those same settings that work great for high-gain tones with the graphic EQ engaged also often work well for cleans without the graphic EQ.

make sense?

the way i would personally dial in a 22+ is to put the treble around 6.5 or so, bass around 2-3 tops, and mids wherever they sound best for what you want (obviously adjusted to suit whatever guitar is being used). slight tweaks of the volumes and masters can get you a good clean tone and a good distortion texture without using the EQ... then i'd use the EQ to shape the lead channel's tone, basically fill out the bass and contour the other sliders until the mids and treble sounded right. set the EQ to auto, final adjustment of the masters and reverb etc., and there you go - footswitchable clean and lead tones. that's just one approach though... lots of different ways to dial them in.

Archived