HELP with Cabinet Damage

Rayneman

• Members

The other guitarist in my band is using my JSX while his Marshall is in the shop. This is through his Marshall 4x12 - not sure of the exact model, but its got the GT12-75 watters.

Due to a freak accident while loading the band van, the grill cloth was pierced, and one of the speaker run through with a mic stand. The speaker is destroyed.

My urgent question oh wise and knowledgeable HCAF members is - what are the ramifications of continuing to run this cab less one speaker (its not ripped but completely destroyed)? We did go ahead and use it this way for a rehearsal. It didn't sound very good, but it doesn't sound horrible either. The overdrive tones of the JSX, I noticed, were not loud at all - we had to run the amp almost completely wide open to have it even be heard along with my Triple Recto and 4x12 Recto Cab at moderate volumes.

It seemed to get worse as the rehearsal progressed.

Will this damage my JSX? I'm thinking that until he gets a replacement speaker that I haul out another cabinet for him (Marshall 1936)...I'm just worried that my amp has been damaged or could be damaged if I continue to run it with this cabinet at the ohm setting I am (no, I did not try it with my cabinet to compare as I should have).

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Tim

:)

• Members

Thanks for the advice.

He's currently running it 8 ohm mono - I guess then we should flip the switch (I believe there is one) and run the side with the doo speakers.

For as long as I've been playing, I still am confused often about speakers/wiring and ohms.

Archived